Re: D74 with APRSIS32 won't transmit

Rob Giuliano

I prefer an virtual machine running a very limited install of Windows XP for such occasions. XP can be stripped down pretty easily to not much more than the operating system for a small virtualbox drive. That is if you have an XP compatible Windows app.  Save the reboot time.

Option 2 would be run Windows and use Virtualbox for Linux.

From: "Greg D ko6th.greg@... [aprsisce]"
To: aprsisce@...
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] D74 with APRSIS32 won't transmit

I don't think the Bluetooth issue is with APRSIS32 or Wine.  The device seems to connect as displayed on the Linux side, but I never see the BT symbol on the D74 light up, and a few seconds later Linux shows the device as not connected.  So, I think something's not matching up in their respective BT stacks, causing an error.  The D74's BT stack is known for being a bit quirky, so this isn't totally unexpected as Linux isn't an operating system that Kenwood supports.

I tried configuring a BT port for APRSIS32, hoping perhaps the connection would stay up if there was something to talk to, but that didn't work.

I'll just leave things as they are for now, and revisit this perhaps later.  The original plan for Field Day was to take the Netbook (running Win 7), as it's more portable, has its own SIM for Internet connections, and is less valuable, but the issue with gpredict forced the use of my full-sized laptop.  It dual-boots with Win 10, but I strongly prefer to leave it running Linux.

Greg  KO6TH

Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I have found that with APRSIS32 under WINE, you are always better off linking to COMM ports.
Most Bluetooth devices are listed as /dev/rfcomm# (I think that is how it gets listed).  I can double check when I get home

from within /home/{username}/.wine/dosdevices
ln -s /dev/rfcomm0 com8

Then connect to Com8 in APRSIS32.

Again, I do not use a D74, but this works with all my Bluetooth devices I use to connect to the TNCs