Re: Kenwood TH-D74 APRS12 Mode

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 6/14/2018 3:01 PM, kd2grs@gmail.com [aprsisce] wrote:
Your suggestion almost worked! My system does not have CONVerse type ports available - do I have most current version? I only downloaded less than a week ago and it updated itself.
Follow the instructions at the following page to switch to Development mode and you should have an CONVerse port type.

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

I tried "KWD710(Pkt)" type of port and it kind of worked as you described, but there are a huge amount of <OpenCmd> and <CloseCmd> lines in the config XML file that cause many errors (visible in log) while software tries to set-up something that does not need setup. Can I just delete those lines from the XML file to stop the set-up and pages of non-reply errors?
Yes, you can keep that port type as it has the proper interpretation.  Simply replace all of the <Open/CloseCmd>s with the following No-Op pair.  If you don't have at least one, APRSISCE/32 will put back the defaults.

<OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd>
<CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>

Note: ~ suppresses the default <CR>, !! says no expected response, and the 0 says no timeout.

After it got through the setup errors it started accepting and putting up the stations on the map w/ all the APRS details though.
Yes, that would be expected.

I'm running APRSIS on an 8" Windows 10 tablet - no Internet, just Bluetooth. I will try to get the GPS feed going from the TH-D74, if not I have a BadElf puck style GPS w/ NEMA output via Bluetooth to try.
I need to play with the radio settings to see if I can get the GPS coming through.  If so, simply checking the GPS/NMEA checkbox on the port and subsequently enabling the GPS should work.  If Enable GPS is grayed out, then APRSISCE/32 doesn't think it has any location source.  Do NOT attempt to configure an NMEA port to talk to the D74.  That won't work.  But if you have a dedicated GPS, you'd configure that through the NMEA port.

Thanks again for swift reply.
Sometimes you get lucky!