Re: Kenwood TH-D74 APRS12 Mode

Greg D

No, in KISS mode, it's just a TNC, with no interpretation of what comes in/out, so no reporting of beacons received, nor sending of beacons out.  But you can transmit from APRSIS32 using it.

So I guess the mode decision comes down to usage...  If all you want is to see stuff on the APRSIS32 screen, and not send messages, you can let the radio do the beaconing, and retain the radio display's functionality, by using APRS mode.  Only if you want to use the messaging system in APRSIS32 do you need to switch over to KISS...  Is that a good summary?

Greg  KO6TH

'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Yes, in APRS mode the D74 continues to beacon and display received packets in addition to passing them through the Bluetooth port.  I need to try it again, but KISS may also work the same way, but I'm not sure any more.  Been a long time since I ran my D74 connected to APRSISMO in KISS.

And for some reason, I'm not getting the GPS/NMEA feed from the D74 configured this way.  Either I'm not getting it or APRSIS32 isn't interpreting it as I had to manually move ME.  More things to play with to refresh my failing memory.

On 6/14/2018 1:53 PM, Greg D ko6th.greg@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Just curious...  Is there any advantage to running the D74 in APRS mode, instead of KISS?  E.g., do APRS beacons show up on the D74's display and on APRSIS32 if in APRS mode?

Greg  KO6TH

'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I just paired my D74 with my laptop (once I got Windows 10 to recognize it) and created a new port of type "CONVerse" which isn't exactly correct, but for your purposes it should work.  For some reason Windows 10 didn't show me the Bluetooth connection (have to look into that one), but I went into Device Manager and saw that it was assigned COM5 and COM6.  I told APRSIS32 that it was a COMn Serial connection and selected COM5 from the left drop-down.  Set it to 19200 baud and left the remainder of the settings alone.  In the following dialog, ,I unchecked "Xmit Enable" since you only want to monitor for display (Xmit won't work with the D74 with a CONVerse port anyway).  Once I accepted the port, it connected to the radio with Bluetooth and packets are being received.

If you open up the Port() trace log and enable it, you will see complaints about Missed Expected Response when the port is enabled, but this is because CONVerse ports send out a Control-C and expect to get a Cmd: prompt as the response.  The D74 doesn't do this in APRS 12 mode.

I really need to finish having APRSISCE/32 adopt .XML port setup files like I've implemented in APRSISMO (the Android client).  Then it will be easier to add new radios with explicit support.

Let me know if this works for you.  If not, post your radio settings that govern communication and APRS and I'll compare them to mine.

In the meantime, if you send a ?IGATE to KJ4ERJ-AP, you should see my RF port.  ?APRSS, ?APRSD, ?APRSL, and ?APRSH * (yes, that's * after the ?APRSH), you'll see additional information about my client's radio-activity.  This may only be live until about 2:15pm Central time.

On 6/14/2018 12:31 PM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] wrote:
You have created a KISS port in APRSIS32, but the radio is setup as something else.
I am not familiar with these Kenwood radios and which settings are common between models of handhelds and mobiles.

Here are some options from the "New RFPort Type" combo box that might work for RF receive only:

KWD700(RO+GPS) - interprets GPS and APRS data from the radio, but might be in an older (D700) text format

Text - interprets APRS text data from the radio  I am not sure if it will handle MICe or other compressed data,
    I believe the TNC must convert those formats before sending. TH-D74 probably will do that

I believe one of these 2 options actually puts and commands in the XML to put the radio's TNC into KISS mode, while the other is similar to KWD700(*RO+GPS) but for the 710 style radios.

KWD710(APRS)

KWD710(Pkt)