From: "Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce]"
Date: 12/11/17 16:09 (GMT-05:00)
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Yaesu FTM-400XDR Surface 3 Win 10 Config Help?

Are you sure the TX was working with the FTM-400XDR?

You should be able to configure the FTM-400XDR to send the data to an attached computer, but the Yaesu radios are not "PC friendly" when it comes to APRS.

I find this particular manual even more confusing on the topic than previous Yaesu APRS radios.
My "best guess" would be the following:
Page 170 "Data" section
1 COM PORT SETTING
  SPEED: 9600
  OUPUT: PACKET       (if non-functional, try WAYPOINT)
  WP FORMAT: MEAN9   (default - although that is GPS output, not PACKET)
  WP Filter: ALL
2 DATA BAND SELECT: {Your desired settings for frequency in use)
3 DATA SPEED (Assumed on air data rate)
   APRS: 1200
   DATA: 1200
Page 171
4 DATA SQUELCH: (your desired settings)
  APRS (1 -4 skipped)
5 APRS MODEM: ON

Scrolling down to 196, 197, and beyond provides some additional information.
To me, it appears setting output to DATA will cause the internal TNC to turn off and the audio outputs of the Data Jack to be enabled (for an external TNC).