Re: Configuring a KISS or NMEA Port

m6xsd <m6xsd@...>

Hi Lynn,

It's great toget the NMEA support, I am running it on my Desktop with a Haicom GPS connected to COM2 with an external antenna (just looking out of our front window).
It shows my location fine (although it seems to think I'm on the opposite side of the street most of the time, probably due to the GPS antenna location) on it's own map but asyet it doesn't seem to be reporting my location tothe outside world. I have only quickly set it up, so have I missed a setting I should have set?
I am currently using 'M6XSD-1' some if anyone sees me today I would like a report of when & where.
If I get time today I will see if I can emulate a KISS TNC on my Laptop & see if I can get RF to work. I will use a different SSID for RF, so again if anyone sees me 'M6XSD-#' with any SSID I would like to know.

I will let you know how I get on.

73,
Colin
M6XSD.

Ok, so the new release is out and your first question is: How do I
configure a port and what in the world does TCP/IP have to do with KISS
and NMEA?

APRSISCE/32 supports two different ways of connecting to serial
devices. The "normal" expected one would be via a "normal" Windows COM
port with baud rates, parity, stop bits and such. However, I also
support connected to a TCP/IP source of this same data. This allows the
client to connect to remotely served TCP/IP serial ports which may or
may not be virtualized by Windows. I also happen to have some TCP/IP
servers that remotely serve out COM ports from one Windows machine to
another. So...

When you click the KISS or NMEA buttons on the new configuration dialog,
you will be asked if you want to "Configure As a TCP/IP Port?". Most of
you will probably want to click "No". At that point, a Port
Configuration dialog will appear with drop-downs of the known COM ports
and support baud rates along with radio buttons for Parity and Data/Stop
bits. (Ignore the Xmit checkbox). When you have things set up for your
GPS or KISS TNC, click OK.

After configuring a COM port, the KISS or NMEA button will take you
directly back to the Port Configuration dialog. If you clear the COM
port and click OK, the next time you configure that port, the TCP/IP
question will be asked.

The AGW interface only support TCP/IP connections to AGWPE. The TCP
Configuration dialog prompts for an IP address or DNS name of the host
where AGEPE is executing. Port 8000 is the default for AGW and should
not be changed unless you know what you're doing. Again, ignore the
Xmit checkbox.

After configuring the appropriate port(s), you can then enable whichever
feature you want to use. If any communications errors are encountered,
you may need to disable and re-enable the feature to get things moving
again. I need to do more work on failure recovery.

If you are using a Bluetooth serial adapter for either KISS or NMEA GPS
connections (I use a Delorme BlueLogger as my GPS), you'll need to go
through the pairing and assign a COM port outside of the APRSISCE/32
client. Once you know the port number assigned to the device, you can
configure it in the client and the Bluetooth connection should be
established whent he feature is enabled.

Drop a note to the list if you are using any of these new features. I'm
anxious to see how they work out and won't know if they're working or
not if you don't tell me!