Configuring a KISS or NMEA Port

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Ok, so the new release is out and your first question is: How do I configure a port and what in the world does TCP/IP have to do with KISS and NMEA?

APRSISCE/32 supports two different ways of connecting to serial devices. The "normal" expected one would be via a "normal" Windows COM port with baud rates, parity, stop bits and such. However, I also support connected to a TCP/IP source of this same data. This allows the client to connect to remotely served TCP/IP serial ports which may or may not be virtualized by Windows. I also happen to have some TCP/IP servers that remotely serve out COM ports from one Windows machine to another. So...

When you click the KISS or NMEA buttons on the new configuration dialog, you will be asked if you want to "Configure As a TCP/IP Port?". Most of you will probably want to click "No". At that point, a Port Configuration dialog will appear with drop-downs of the known COM ports and support baud rates along with radio buttons for Parity and Data/Stop bits. (Ignore the Xmit checkbox). When you have things set up for your GPS or KISS TNC, click OK.

After configuring a COM port, the KISS or NMEA button will take you directly back to the Port Configuration dialog. If you clear the COM port and click OK, the next time you configure that port, the TCP/IP question will be asked.

The AGW interface only support TCP/IP connections to AGWPE. The TCP Configuration dialog prompts for an IP address or DNS name of the host where AGEPE is executing. Port 8000 is the default for AGW and should not be changed unless you know what you're doing. Again, ignore the Xmit checkbox.

After configuring the appropriate port(s), you can then enable whichever feature you want to use. If any communications errors are encountered, you may need to disable and re-enable the feature to get things moving again. I need to do more work on failure recovery.

If you are using a Bluetooth serial adapter for either KISS or NMEA GPS connections (I use a Delorme BlueLogger as my GPS), you'll need to go through the pairing and assign a COM port outside of the APRSISCE/32 client. Once you know the port number assigned to the device, you can configure it in the client and the Bluetooth connection should be established whent he feature is enabled.

Drop a note to the list if you are using any of these new features. I'm anxious to see how they work out and won't know if they're working or not if you don't tell me!