Re: kenwood th-d72 and aprsis

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Configuring two different ports to use the same COM port number will only result in one of them going into an infinite retry loop as the program tries to open the port that's already open.  Which port wins depends on startup timing.

I guarantee this won't work properly or reliably, if it works at all.

If you have a TNC port that is delivering NMEA data, then all you need to do is check the GPS/NMEA in that port's configuration dialog.  It may require a restart after configuring this, but eventually you should be able to check Enables / GPS Enabled (it will be disabled if the program doesn't think there's a source of GPS data).

You do NOT want to configure an NMEA port for TNC-delivered data.  An NMEA port is only required for a dedicated GPS port.

On 3/24/2015 11:26 AM, pfbram@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Late last fall I believe I did get it working fine with my Laptop + D72 setup.  As soon as it warms up here, I'll take it mobile again and verify all this.  Basically, I configured APRSIS's GPS and Device port at the same COM port.  This is from my notes, which may or not not be complete:

Kenwood TH-D72 Hardware
====================

* Set menu 202 to ON (Menu -> GPS -> Int. GPS -> PC Output)

"This enables GPS sentences in the stream of data sent to your PC. If you run KISS-mode software on the PC, you probably do not want this on, but for more APRS software, it is helpful."

* Set menu 350 to ON (Menu -> APRS -> PC Port -> Output -> On)

Connect the TH-D72 to the laptop.  Turn on the radio, but don't turn on the TNC.
Run APRSIS and let it activate APRS mode and take control.

APRSIS SETUP - Configure >
======================

        General
        -------

        MyCall-SSID: {scrubbed}
        Passcode: {scrubbed}
        Quiet Time: 300
        Range: 500
        Comment: Tinkering TH-D72 and APRSIS32
        Restart On About checked

        Genius
        ------

        Min Time: 300 seconds
        Max Time: 30 minutes
        Start/stop checked
        Heading Change: 30
        Forecast Error: 1
        Max Distance: 10

        Messages
        --------

        Eavesdrop checked
        RF Eavesdrop checked

        Ports - APRSIS
        --------------

        Quiet Time: 300 seconds
        RF to IS checked
        IS to RF not checked
        Enabled checked
        Xmit Enabled checked
        Bulletin/Obj checked
        Beacon checked
        Messages checked
        Telemetry not checked
        Device ->
        ---------

        IP or DNS: rotate.aprs2.net
        Port: 14580

        Ports - NMEA
        ------------

        COM3
        9600 Baud
        Parity none
        Data 8
        Stop 1

        Ports - TH-D72
        --------------

        Quiet Time: 60
        RFBaud: 1200
        RF to IS checked
        IS to RF not checked
        Me not 3rd not checked

        Enabled checked
        Xmit Enabled checked
        GPS/NMEA checked
        Bulletin/Obj not checked
        Beacon checked
        DX not checked
        Messages checked
        Telemetry not checked

        Device ->
        ---------

        COM3
        9600 Baud
        Parity none
        Data 8
        Stop 1

Enables
-------

        APRS-IS Enabled (requires enabling Internet Access below)
        Beaconing Enabled
        GPS Enabled
        Intenet Access Enabled
        OSM Fetch Enabled