Re: Winbook TW700 and Kenwood D72

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Carl,

Good to hear you are successful!

It seems the funky when transmitting is passed. I used several different USB cables with similar and am now back to the original which has a choke.

Are you running from a USB flash drive? I am trying to and for the most part it is okay. I was getting a drive error so I changed the flash drive with the same results. I let the system ‘fix’ the drive and maybe that problem is gone. I did not see it in the short time before heading back inside to my desk.

Did you make any changes to the open/close commands in your XML?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 7:51 PM
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Winbook TW700 and Kenwood D72

No, it has worked much better than I expected actually.  I do use an old VTECH cable from the kid's toys that has a choke built in to the USB cable, it is only about 12" long overall.  I have used the set up for both this program and for RMS Express on UHF @1200b.  It is a great set up to take to the field with as it is pocket sized.  The screen is a bit small but with the HDMI output and BT for the mouse and keyboard I have it is a winner by far.  I have a Venue8 and it only has the one micro USB which is a pain in the ...  The WinBook with the ports makes it a much better unit.  Try swapping out the cable you are using and it might get rid of the gremlins when the D72 transmits.

Carl,KB1EJH

From: "'Fred Hillhouse Jr' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce]" <aprsisce@...>
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2015 6:26 PM
Subject: RE: [aprsisce] Winbook TW700 and Kenwood D72

Hi Carl,

Do you have any problem with the WinBook doing something funky when the radio transmits? It appears I am but maybe it is because everything is close at the moment.

Thanks!

Fred N7FMH

Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Winbook TW700 and Kenwood D72

Fred,

I picked up one for a WiRES-X project but bailed on that and have it working for APRSIS32 and the D72 and it works great.  It makes a great portable-pocket sized APRS unit with the D72.  All you need is the USB to Mini USB cable and it is up and running with maps and packet paths.

Carl,KB1EJH

From: "'Fred Hillhouse Jr' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce]" < aprsisce@... >
To: aprsisce@... ; aprsis32cafe@...
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2015 2:56 PM
Subject: [aprsisce] Winbook TW700 and Kenwood D72 [2 Attachments]

[Attachment(s) from Fred Hillhouse Jr included below]

Just in case you are interested in a Windows tablet …

After reading about the WinBook TW700 I decided to buy a couple.

The lower cable plugged into the WinBook is the power (USB micro), next up is a Staples USB hub. Connected to the hub is an USB flash drive with APRSIS32 and the D72.

I haven’t been in range of any other stations so I can’t say I have the correct configuration in APRSIS32 but I was able to read the radio configuration using Kenwood’s software. I will be running everything in my vehicle for the commute home later today.

I have connected the TW700 to the internet through my phone (running a hotspot) so I can have an internet connection if needed.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Join APRSISCE@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.