Re: Another newbie help

John KC4LZN

I will reiterate what Lynn said. When I was in the process of setting up my station with a TT4 in KISS Mode, I found out my nail in the coffin was not properly adjusting the RX Amp. Simple KISS Mode was a must as well. Each radio is different and there is no "generic" setting for the RX Amp. It all depends on your audio from the radio and THEN adjust the RX Amp to receive and decode that data. It should display between 50 and 80 for a proper setting. I put on a set of head phones and adjusted the volume to an acceptable level (ended up being on about 2 scale 1 to 10) and then adjusted the RX Amp in the monitor mode.

The other focus should be on your CALIBRATE command. Both of these items can be seen in your quick start guide for the TT4.

73 John

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 8:11 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

The lights on the TT4 can assist in knowing if it is decoding packets.  The yellow light should go on steady while a good packet burst is being decoded.  It will flash a bit at the end of the packet indicating its configured delay before allowing itself to transmit if there's a packet waiting to go out.

If your yellow light never turns on, or just blinks and flashes, it's not decoding and you need to find instructions on doing the MONitor/RXAMP tuning in the TT4.

On 8/18/2014 8:03 AM, Alan Fitzsimmons fitzsimmons.alan@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Thanks Robert,

I didn't say I was decoding packets, I just meant the radio was receiving on 144.39 and packets are there. Whether I'm decoding them I have no idea.

I changed the settings to match the 19200 speed. I had everything set for 4800. I read that somewhere I'm sure that 4800 was what it was supposed to be.

I still have nothing. I'l be back Friday.

Thanks,

Alan W4ANT

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

What settings are you using on the TT4?

How do you know you are decoding packets?
  Did you see decoded packets in a terminal?

TT4 Settings:
  ABAUD:    19200
  AMODE:    KISS
  Ensure the TT4 sends packets to the computer (don't remember the exact setting).

APRSIS32:
  Port:  Simple(KISS)
  port setting same as TT4: 19200

These are the keys, and the TT4 must be in KISS for APRSIS32 to match it.