Re: Another newbie help

Alan Fitzsimmons <fitzsimmons.alan@...>

According to what you just said about the lights. Everything appears to be in order there. It's steady yellow, then flashing, then the red light comes on and it transmits.

I've changed the baud rates to 19200

I'll check the other settings you mentioned and will try to diagnose. As I said in my original post, I'm not what you would call an advanced computer user. When it comes to computers, I'm very much an appliance operator. The mention and use of a "terminal emulator" is Star Trek to me. I would have no clue on where to find that.

Is the Simply Kiss as opposed to Kiss a TT4 setting or an APRSIS32 setting? I recognize what you are saying from some of the reading and have read that different TNC's behave differently with opposing radios. On the TT4 Alpha config, there is no option for simply kiss only kiss. Where do I find this on APRSIS32?

Another experienced person in this area told me that without an experienced ham in the room with you setting it up, it's difficult at best. I tend to agree. This is about as close as we can get so I appreciate it. I'll maybe hang around here a little bit this morning to see if I can get something to happen.

I don't know whether the audio from the 2800 is fixed or not. I'm listening to it on a hand held and it seems to be at a reasonable level. I'm hearing the 2800 transmit after it receives something, holds it, and transmits. At least I think that's what it's doing.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 8:11 AM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

The lights on the TT4 can assist in knowing if it is decoding packets.  The yellow light should go on steady while a good packet burst is being decoded.  It will flash a bit at the end of the packet indicating its configured delay before allowing itself to transmit if there's a packet waiting to go out.

If your yellow light never turns on, or just blinks and flashes, it's not decoding and you need to find instructions on doing the MONitor/RXAMP tuning in the TT4.

On 8/18/2014 8:03 AM, Alan Fitzsimmons fitzsimmons.alan@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Thanks Robert,

I didn't say I was decoding packets, I just meant the radio was receiving on 144.39 and packets are there. Whether I'm decoding them I have no idea.

I changed the settings to match the 19200 speed. I had everything set for 4800. I read that somewhere I'm sure that 4800 was what it was supposed to be.

I still have nothing. I'l be back Friday.

Thanks,

Alan W4ANT

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

What settings are you using on the TT4?

How do you know you are decoding packets?
  Did you see decoded packets in a terminal?

TT4 Settings:
  ABAUD:    19200
  AMODE:    KISS
  Ensure the TT4 sends packets to the computer (don't remember the exact setting).

APRSIS32:
  Port:  Simple(KISS)
  port setting same as TT4: 19200

These are the keys, and the TT4 must be in KISS for APRSIS32 to match it.