Re: No Tx with APRSIS & FT7800

James Ewen

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM, <eckerpw@...> wrote:

You can get a lot of information from the scroller. You can get even
more from the raw data. Learning to understand what you are seeing in
the raw data is key in understanding how your local network is
operating.
--- do you mean learning to understand the raw data in the APRSISCE
logs?? Which logs do you find the most informative??
Yes, you can find the raw APRS data in log files in APRSISCE/32. The
log files that I find the most informative are the ones containing the
data that I am interested in viewing.

In your case, I have created a test filter using CTRL-G, and then
entered e/KC2NYU-1. That pulls anything being gated to the internet by
your station into a log file. I don't have to filter through all kinds
of data, I just get the information that is of interest to me.

I try to look through the files and focus on only the aspects of
relevance to the discussion at hand, but it is so hard when you see
station after station after station with misconfigured, incorrect, or
totally screwed up settings. I think I'd go nuts living in an APRS
network other than my local network. A few of us have built the local
digipeater network. The placement of every digipeater is planned out,
and sited such that it provides optimal coverage. All configurations
are in spec with the APRS network settings, and we spend a lot of time
helping newbies get their stations set up properly so that there's no
garbage packets floating around the network. We get the occasional
wonky station popping up, and wanna-be do-gooders putting digipeaters
on the air where they are not needed. We work to educate and show why
the network might be degraded by such activity.

Because of the planning and care used to implement our network, we can
easily move messages and packets across large distances reliably. I
have successfully sent a message over 600 km across the province on RF
ONLY while driving down the highway. It took 5 digipeater hops to
travel to the recipient, but it made it, and I got an ACK just like
clockwork. Our SSn-N alternate alias system worked as it should have.
We need to do more testing to make sure everything is working as it
should, but we're pretty confident that we have a digital network that
could easily support emergency communications should the need arise.
We just need more locations for digipeaters to help fill in some
holes, and expand the network.

The first step is to put your station on the air 24/7 running as an
i-gate. With that in place, we can get a view into what is happening
in Savannah. (Sounds like the serial port is locking up. Any software attempting to
access the serial port will squawk, not just OTWINCFG)
--- I think I have the com port issue solved by changing to a different serial
port. Never did find what else was trying to access that port. So the program
I believe has been running over 24 hrs.
You're offline again...

--
James