Re: No Tx with APRSIS & FT7800

eckerpw@...

James- I think I have addressed most of your questions below in the larger font:

Okay, let's drop back a level... how are you able to determine that
KW4B is not hearing your transmissions? Are you in contact with an
operator sitting at that station who is monitoring the audio being
received at KW4B, and that person is confirming that there is no audio
present when your APRS station is transmitting? That would be the ONLY
way to confirm that KW4B is NOT receiving your signal.

--- Did that test today and KW4B is hearing my transmit and data is being received

APRS does not employ the use of repeaters. The digital store and
forward devices that resend APRS packets are called digipeaters. Would
you be referring to KW4B-1? Again, a similar question as to how you
are able to determine that KW4B-1 is not hearing your signals.

-- I should have said the local digipeater (kw4b-1) which is about 20 miles south located on a tower just off I-95

-------------------------------------

Corollary to that statement, you CAN determine if a station operating
as a digipeater has heard, decoded, and acted upon your packet by
listening for a digipeat of your packet on the RF channel. If you hear
that digipeat, then you know quite a number of things about the
operation of your station, because quite a number of things have to go
right to get digipeated.

-- I am not hearing the digipeat (I say that based on I hear my Tx burst- but don’t not hear another burst following it).  Where does one look in APRSFI do see data to evaluate how well  kw4b-1 is in fact digipeating? Observing the APRSIS32 screen and looking at the rf paths of stations on the scroller, it appears to be.

-------------------------------

As others are suggesting, is your station set up properly? Is your
deviation correct? Are you getting a signal out? What's your output
power, what's your VSWR?

--- Power out – 40w, swr 1.3 seems fine, not sure how to check deviation or adjust on the FT7800

KW4B purports to being a digipeater (icon chosen, but then you are
reporting as being a digipeater too), but the station is using a
WIDE1-1 path which suggests that the KW4B digipeater is poorly located
such that it requires assistance from a nearby home fill-in station to
be able to get to the nearest main digipeater. Looking at the raw data
however, it looks like KW4B can get out to local digipeaters easily.
The same can be said for KW4B-1. I would suggest you too drop the
WIDE1-1 from your outgoing path. Only low powered station NEEDING a
boost from a home fill-in digipeater should ever run WIDE1-1 as a path
element.

--- KC2NYU-1 is now digipeating and iGating according to my logs (have screen shots I could sent to your email address). So a really basic question to assure my understanding of paths is correct. If kw4b and I were to change from Wide 1-1, what should we change to?? In the APRSIS32/T2 combination where is that modified??

I think that progress has been made on the initial problems, but we are open to suggestions on how to improve the overall situation here in Savannah.

73 and thank you again for your help.

Paul

kc2nyu