Re: GPS units

sbd sbd

Well I got asked to do data modes for the Olympics in Weymouth, to find the laptop time was out enough that JT-65 did not work.

Using an adafruit breakout board GPS, that will run from 5V or 3.3V. Enable input and fix output. Handy for balloons.

Cold starts very quickly. To the point that I have not sorted the battery backup.

Have had it supplying APRSIS32 via GPSD with location. And time via the normal NMEA sentences.

Got it running in user mode for NTP time easily, Which to be honest is good enough.

But attempting to get the more accurate kernel mode working, which is more of a problem. On my second 10 hour long compile!!

When it’s working will torrent an image for everyone, as I will with an added TNC-Pi setup using XASTIR.

I am hoping we can get APRSISMO working on the Pi. Currently there is a graphics driver issue that stops it running. To do with 3D hardware acceleration if I recall.

Steve Daniels

Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

Torbay Freecycle  Owner