Re: Configure APRSISCE for ISS

That is actually the easiest, simplest, and safest way to do it! At least until some software author gets off his duff to support near-dynamic switching of configuration files within a single instance...

On 11/20/2013 10:08 AM, Phillip Tompkins wrote:
I followed these directions

Then followed up onhttp://www.ariss.net/to see if things worked right (KD7QOT-2). The first day I messed up and had some options checked on the APRS-IS configuration that I should not have, but then read the directions again and the second day I had success.

I basically took the aprsisce folder and made a copy of it. When I'm running normal aprs I launch one copy. when I want to work the sat I close the aprs copy and then launch the copy i made with all of my configurations for ISS. I'm sure there is a much better way, but this works for me for now :)

73's
Phillip

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:40 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Steve Daniels
<steve@...> wrote:

> I think he might be trying to use the PMS on the ISS, which frustrates most APRS users.

I don't think so based on the example given.

It looks like he's going to attempt to bounce a message packet off the
ISS digipeater, hope to get someone to gate it to the APRS-IS stream,
where the EMAIL server will then push the email into the internet, and
deliver it back to him via his email program.

This is a long convoluted process to talk to one's self. It would be
easier to go sit in front of a mirror and carry on a conversation.

As Steve indicated, connecting to the BBS onboard the ISS is frowned
upon as only one user can access the device at a time, and if the bird
goes out of range, it has to time out. The satellites are a precious
resource, and the people on the ground who like to operate the
satellites generally understand that concept. When you get someone who
decides to hog the satellite for the whole pass, you get a lot of
people on the ground upset. Just like the terrestrial RF network, the
satellite digipeater needs to be shared by everyone equally.

The concept is to listen, then once you hear the satellite, send your
packet and listen for the digipeat. When you hear the digipeat, you
know you have successfully sent a packet to the satellite, and back.
You then listen for the rest of the pass. Notice that there's a lot of
listen, and only one send. Having a station set up to automatically
send on the satellite frequency, ie beacon once a minute unattended is
frowned upon. Your station could be potentially blocking the attempts
of a live person who is actively trying to participate in the hobby.

When you send a packet to the digipeater on the ISS, it will digipeat
the packet right back down again. There's no need to send the packet
to an i-gate and on to an email server to send the packet back to your
computer to prove that the ISS digipeated the packet. You can tell the
ISS digipeated the packet by listening to the frequency for the
digipeat.

Now, if someone is planning a tour out in the boonies well away from
the terrestrial APRS network, and is going to haul a ground based
satellite station, keep track of the passes, and attempt to send
health and safety checks to an individual monitoring the trek via
email, that might be a reason to go through all the trouble.

I would however opt for the easier path... teach the non-ham how to
look at aprs.fi for location updates, and where to look for messages.
The station in the boonies would then only have to send position
reports with status, and if desired, could send a generic APRS message
with the desired information contained within. No worries about
formatting email messages, gating to the internet, etc... that's
already in place because other people are already playing with the
satellites.

Have a look here to see who's playing on the ISS...

--
James
VE6SRV

--
Phillip Tompkins
Secure your communications

Instant Message me secure: http://pidgin.im withhttp://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/encryption free
iPhone Secure Messaging App: ChatSecure Droid Secure Messaging App: GibberBot
My Public S/MIME Key download:http://www.cenology.com/public-key.zip
Thumb Print:31 72 f0 01 37 55 cb bb e0 c1 33 55 5c fe 79 7b 34 46 47 8c
My PGP Public Key download:http://www.cenology.com/p-public-pgp.zip
Finger Print:81FB8C481A794B948D94BE2EE6FD0D56CD2AD603