Re: GPS+NEMA using Tiny Trak 4 GKRELAY does strange and bizzare things.

ronnies07@...

Alright Ill send you my .XML file. Note that my fiddling with prior to the above post resulted in a situation that caused the entire device to lockup upon enabling GPS.

The file I'm sending you is of a fresh config on a clean device, however it does the exact same thing; Ports>NEMA is blank, Ports>Tiny Trak 4>GPS/NEMA is checked, Activating GPS turns on the internal radio, and if I want to get GPS from the TT4 I have to set Ports>NEMA to something that isn't blank.

---In aprsisce@..., <aprsisce@...> wrote:

APRSISCE on Windows Mobile really, really, really wants to use WinMo's internal GPSapi.  I'll have to do some checking in the code to see what's going on in the situation you describe.

It is SUPPOSED to be that a) you don't want an NMEA port configured - Blank out the port and b) you should have the GPS/NMEA checked in the TT4 port setup as you say you have.  That combination should work, but like I said, I need to double-check what the behavior will be with (still) two GPS sources.

In the meantime, can you e-mail your APRSISCE.XML configuration file to KJ4ERJ@... for me to ponder?

On 10/29/2013 8:26 PM, ronnies07@... wrote:
I'm running APRSISCE6P on an HP iPAQ Travel Companion rx5915. I have it through Bluetooth connected to my Tiny Trak 4 which then goes to my Kenwood TM-V71A in my mobile.
This worked fine to a point: The internal GPS in the thing is deaf as a brick, Even with the unit outside of the car, it sees about 4 satellites at most and wanders about enough to make SmartBecaoning useless. So I had an idea to connect an external GPS module to port B of the TT4, and I am now using a GloabalSat BR-355-S4 (SiRF IV) to that end.

I followed the instructions that was posted here by one Rob Giuliano on how to configure the TT4 and got everything set up, fired up APRSISCE6P and this is where the fun begins:

I go to Menu>Enables>GPS and it somehow starts pulling data from the devices internal GPS radio despite Configure>Ports>NEMA not being configured and GPS/NEMA being checked on the TT4 port setup.

Disabled the "Windows mobile autoconfigure GPS" and tried it again.

Menu>Enables>GPS and nothing. It enables GPS but with blank values on all of the screens, showing 0/0 sats in view and '--' for both the speed and heading indicators.

Now from here I can go to Configure>Ports>NEMA and input absolutely anything, (250000 baud on COM9 why not?) and the program immediately starts pulling data from the TT4, locates 8 sats and acquires a fix.

The only issue with doing that is that it continually cycles the port. According to the poirt(NEMA) logs it opens COM9 at 250000 baud, announces it has heard nothing in 10000 milliseconds, announces the device has 'Lost Fix', Closes the port, Opens the port, Attains a fix it seems to have never lost (the GPS overlays keep working fine during this), and fires off a beacon over RF, only to repeat the process in about 2 seconds. Because the software attempts to beacon upon acquiring a Fix, this causes an absurd amount of RF traffic.