Re: Sending a message to a group

Lynn Deffenbaugh

The only "group" APRS messaging feature that I'm aware of is via the CQSRVR. If you and everyone else send a message to the CQSRVR with an agreed-up group ID, every subsequent message sent to that group will be sent to all members. However, CQSRVR does have a minimum time limit for any single message sender to the group.

See CQSRVR documentation at:

http://www.aprs-is.net/CQSrvr.aspx

Maybe there's another "group messaging" feature in the Kenwood firmware or UI-View, but I'm not currently aware of it and haven't noticed it in any of the APRS specs that I've read.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

g4ilo wrote:

I would like to send an APRS message that would be received by anyone who wants to receive it. The only way I know how to do this is for everyone who wants to receive the message to tell me their call-ssid and I send the message individually to each of them.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to send a message to a group name and individuals can then choose to receive those messages. For example it appears people can choose to receive NWS messages. But I can't find any information on how to do it. Is my recollection correct, and if so how do I go about it? And is anything special needed to originate a message to the group as distinct from receiving it?

Julian, G4ILO