Sending a message to a group

g4ilo

I would like to send an APRS message that would be received by anyone who wants to receive it. The only way I know how to do this is for everyone who wants to receive the message to tell me their call-ssid and I send the message individually to each of them.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to send a message to a group name and individuals can then choose to receive those messages. For example it appears people can choose to receive NWS messages. But I can't find any information on how to do it. Is my recollection correct, and if so how do I go about it? And is anything special needed to originate a message to the group as distinct from receiving it?

Julian, G4ILO