OT: Using a docking station for mobile phone

g4ilo

I ordered a docking station for my HTC Touch Pro to keep the battery charged and hold the phone conveniently where I can see the APRSISCE screen. This docking station has two connectors, one for 5V DC for charging, and the other a USB connector for syncing with the PC.

The shack computer was off and I noticed that when the USB connector is plugged in to the computer and the charger is powered on, the lights on my USB PC keyboard are illuminated! I can see what is happening - the 5V power is going via the USB cable to the other USB devices. I'm not sure that this is healthy.

If anyone else has a similar docking station I'd be interested to know if this behavior is normal, or whether it is potentially harmful to the PC.

Julian, G4ILO