Re: Rocket Tracking

Greg Depew

Hi Aaron, the best method of tracking a station is to multitrack it. This is done by either clicking on the station and then multitrack or up in the menu under follow. Once that's done it will "record" the track and you can then save as a gpx file for exporting. KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

-----Original Message-----
From: ajmitchell91
Sent: 4/8/2013 11:47:32 PM
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: [aprsisce] Rocket Tracking

Hello,

I am new to this group so I apologize if I am not posting in the right format. I have a pretty open-ended question about tracking a single station.

First let me explain the problem. The student group I am a part of, the USC Rocket Lab (uscrpl.com) builds and launches medium to large amateur rockets. We track the rockets with GPS transmitters specifically designed for rockets or air-balloons. I receive the beacons on my Kenwood TH-D72A (since I'm the one that's licensed) and as long as we receive a few pings it makes finding the rocket much easier. The problem is that the Kenwood only holds one ping in memory for each of the last 30 stations it has received from. Since we receive pings about once ever 15 seconds during flight, it can be difficult to copy all of the relevant information down on paper fast enough before the next ping comes in and replaces it. No to mention it all then has to be input into Google Earth manually before we can begin looking for the rocket, which usually burns valuable daylight at our launch site in the desert. Also I should mention I am aware of the PC software that comes with the Kenwood (MCP-4A) but as far as I can tell it does not have the capability we need.

What I know about APRSISCE so far. From playing around with it and reading the wiki I've gotten my Kenwood talking to APRSISCE no problem. I've also received pings and know I can click on them in the list on the left to show the relevant GPS information. This is already a huge improvement since these appear to be saved until memory is cleared. I tried the record feature but what it recorded seemed like mostly gibberish to me.

My question is what would be the best way to isolate the station I would like to track, and then subsequently record the GPS information in a file? Preferably one that can be input into a program like Google Earth. It helps a lot to see the trajectory in 3D when trying to figure out where it landed.

Thank you very much in advance! I promise I don't always make gigantic posts!

-Aaron
KF7RJL