Re: OSM Maps I cry UNCLE

Rob Giuliano

I am quite confident that talking with James will get you going, but one disadvantage is the others don't get the benefit of his/your help.  That is one of the reasons for the list and all the traffic.

On the other hand, sometimes a little "personal attention" is the only cure, but we would ALL appreciate the wisdom that comes out of it.  This could be update/solution to the list or some updates to the wiki which may help clarify.

I joined the thread a little late, but I do run APRSIS32 from a thumb drive and my solution can be summed up with:
   "RELATIVE DIRECTORY REFERENCES"
Which has to be done by editing the XML file directly.  I think I even post this, but I'm sure it was some time ago.

First, 2 things about the XML file:
   1. The OSM section is for the CURRENT selected tile set
           "Open Set Maps"         (not really but it helps)
   2.  Each Tile set has its own section

OSM section is using relative paths:
   Note the dot "." before the slash indicating the current directory.
       This is set to TileServer[1] in this example
11
50
8
<OSM.PurgeDisabled>0
Aerial
oatile3.mqcdn.com
80
/naip/
0
./Aerial/
0
1
6
18
0

TileServer[0] section is also using complete paths:
  This will cause a problem if the drive letter changes when swapping USB drives.
tile.openstreetmap.org
80
/
1
C:/MyApps/Radio/APRSIS32/OSMTiles/
1
7
5
0
18
0

TileServer[1]  section is also using relative paths:
oatile3.mqcdn.com
80
/naip/
0
./Aerial/
0
1
6
0
18
0

Make sure the operating system doesn't prevent writing.  This has been talked about on the list a lot with Windows 7 and the Program Files directory.
I've seen this issue that crop up relating to virus protection or other operating system "GOTCHAs" and thumb drives.

Please don't just throw in the towel, even though it is frustrating.
  1 Others will learn "WITH YOU", and
  2 I'm sure your example "Net Control Operator" would enjoy learning how to connect the antenna and the other aspects.
        When she is ready or needs it - she will probably need some help and patience while she learns.
        She's very likely already doing it at her own pace, watching others and such.
     You appear to be under a bit of pressure (or at least feel you are).
     That seldom helps.

Hope the XML info helps!
  Oh, and 4 years is too long.  You have to starting over, and a lot has probably changed.
   Hopefully a short break and back at it under relaxed conditions will clear your mind and move things forward before they all change.