Re: APRS-IS Core restored (was: ANSRVR down?)

Greg Depew

Thank you all! Amazing work! KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

-----Original Message-----
From: Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
Sent: 10/25/2012 6:26:03 PM
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: [aprsisce] APRS-IS Core restored (was: ANSRVR down?)

I'm pleased to report that thanks to Pete Lovell (author of javAPRSSrvr) and Gerry Creager (operator of first.aprs.net server) (and a few other kibitzers including myself), the issue that had caused the appearance of an ANSRVR failure has been resolved.  The issue was caused by the failure of first.aprs.net (javAPRSSrvr 4.0) to recognize and recover from the restart of fifth.aprs.net and sixth.aprs.net (both aprsc) resulting in packets not flowing between those servers at the APRS-IS core.

This is a good time to send a mental (if not physical) "Thank You" to all those volunteers running the core, hub, and Tier2 APRS-IS servers that we all take for granted.  It's kind of like the power grid, you never think about the electricity flowing until you turn on a switch and nothing happens.  There's lots and lots of "stuff" out there that makes APRS play so well, and all of it is provided by volunteers in the amateur radio community.

So here's my big "THANK YOU" to the Infrastructure without which APRSISCE/32 would be nothing more than an OSM map display utility.

On 10/25/2012 7:05 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
That would be a T2 server.  They're working around the core issue by (hopefully) ensuring that none of their hubs are connected to the split section.  I've relocated ANSRVR to a different core as well, so ANSRVR should be (hopefully) fully functional except for clients directly connected to 4th and 5th.

(At the mercy of the infrastructure transport!)

On 10/25/2012 5:55 AM, Greg Depew wrote:
Not sure what I'm connected to, believe it to be a t2 server as I have noam rotate in. Callsign KB3KBR-1. KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE