Re: FREQ OBJECT Uniqueness (CLARIFIED)

Robert Bruninga

Its just that the comment for a FREQ OBJECT does not expect
to contain the frequency since it is already included in the
object NAME. In this case, only the TONE and offse...are needed.
And our point is that no way we can read the current spec
implies that that is legal.
You might try reading down to the section called:

RECOMMENDED VOICE REPEATER FREQUENCY OBJECTS:

Please see: http://aprs.org/localinfo.html

OBJECT NAMES: Every New-N Paradigm APRS digipeater is supposed to
periodically transmit an OBJECT showing the locally recommended
voice repeater frequency for travelers visiting the digi's own coverage
area. APRS software should be able to locate these frequencies as
well. The format for these frequency object names is as follows:

OBJECTNAME
----------
FFF.FFF-z 5KHz repeaters with up to 62 unique (z) ID's
FFF.FFFyz 5KHz repeaters with up to 2700 unique (yz) ID's
FFF.FF-yz 10kHz repeaters with over 3600 unique (yz) ID's
FFF.FFxyz 10kHz using three xyz unique characters...

Choose letters to make your repeater frequency unique in all the world
so that it can be easily found by wildcarding the callsign FFF.FF*.

The rest of the OBJECT format contains the TONE and RANGE and any
specific information on regular net times and meeting dates. The
format for these FREQ OBJECTS is:

;FFF.FFFxy*111111zDDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWrT079 R25m NETxxxxxx MTGxxxx...

(15 Jun 08 change. Eliminated the leading space before the T079)

Where T079 is a tone of 79.7 Hz (always drop the tenths)
Where R25m is a Range of 25 miles (or k for km)
Where NETxxxxxx is something like "Net Tu9PM" or "Net Tu730"
Where MTGxxxx is something like "Mg3rdTu" and must be 7 bytes
Where ... 9 more bytes are possible but won't show on mobiles

Is it any wonder so many of us are confused about what
is and is not allowed to be FreqSpec compliant?
I can see the confusion. But the format was clear in both this section and
ALL Of the examples in the http://aprs.org/localinfo.html pages which is
where all the guidance for setting up the FREQ OBJECTS was in the first
place.

But I agree that I need to clarify this up in the position/object comment
area.

Bob, Wb4APR