Re: {Some tags disabled} Re: FREQ OBJECT Uniqueness

Robert Bruninga

my preference is to have the callsign in the object name.
... I would rather see the callsign for the object name
followed by an "R"...
I think you miss the objective. Sure locals may know the repeaters by
callsign, but the whole point of FREQ objects is for travelers. So they can
see what freq is recommended wherever they are.

If I drove through your area, there is no way I would notice that VE7RSI
flashing on my display is a repeater and it is unsafe to assume that even if
I did recognize it, I would take my hands off the wheel to go through
multiple button pushes to search for it in the station list and then click
on it just to see the frequency.

The purpose of the FREQ object is so that when it is received, it FLASHES
"147.105 R" on the front panel for 10 seconds alerting me that I am in range
of that repeater and that all I have to do is press ONE button to have the
radio go there (including with the correct tone and offset).

That kind of multilevel COGNITION is not possible for Travelers from just a
local callsign.

Bob, Wb4APR