Re: {Some tags disabled} Re: FREQ OBJECT Uniqueness

Keith VE7GDH

Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

Well stated! And if someone wants to put the frequency into the
object name to make it visible on the station list and/or map labels,
so be it, but the REAL information is carefully formatted and fully
contained in the comment.
I'm still trying to find the time to find all the combinations that
work and don't work with a D72, and I'll post it here and on
the APRS SIG when I'm done. I just wanted to jump in and say
that my preference is to have the callsign in the object name. I
know that Bob doesn't like this, but I would rather see the
callsign for the object name followed by an "R"... e.g. VE7RSI-R.
I know Bob and others prefer to see the frequency there, but
my preference would be for the callsign. Bob called them (was
it on this list or the APRS SIG?) useless callsigns. Around here
I would say that at least half the hams refer to repeaters by their
callsign and not just by frequency which might be more expected
from visitors not familiar with the area. When I call another
ham, I don't say "hey Lynn on 732 this is VE7GDH". I call
them by callsign. I refer to repeaters the same way. It
doesn't happen so much around here, but some places there
is definitely overlapping coverage and only the tone differentiates
them. Callsigns are a lot more unique than frequencies.

For a few years, I was sending out an object something like
147.320 (followed by what I can't remember) and when I
had a club-owned D72 to play with (I have it here again) I
got to try the TUNE function and it didn't work. I really don't
remember what I was using for the object name, but if I
searched my email I could find it. I got the format from
the (then recommended) format or at least I thought that I
had, but when I got the D72 to play with, it wouldn't TUNE
to the frequency unless I included MHz. (Yes, James, I have
a reply to you and [the other] Bob still in my drafts folder...
I still have to finish it off and kick it out the door!) Here it
is a couple of months later and the subject has come back
with a vengeance!

James - as I mentioned, I want to finish off that message to
you and (the other) Bob, but so far, I haven't been to send an
offset to the D72. The radio has automatically applied the
offset . I've been busy, but I'll try and do some more testing
later today and I'll post here and on the APRS SIG. I can't
comment on the spec, but I can comment on what works and
what doesn't on a D72A.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH