Re: Messaging question (and other stuff)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 7/4/2011 11:42 AM, kc8sfq@... wrote:
As I look at the scrolling list of stations, I see some icons have a box around them and most don't. Sometimes from the same station. What is the meaning of the box.
Very observant. I'm not sure if anyone asked this question before or not. The * beside the station name means that the station was heard on an "RF" interface. A number after the * is a repeat count (*4 means you heard it 4 times via RF+IS, due to digipeats). A square outlining the symbol means that the station was heard direct via RF, no path components marked used. Note that this may not mean that particular packet was direct, but that the station has been heard direct "recently".

As to the messaging question: I can force a transmit with the "Transmit" button after I choose to "move ME to center" or not. At that time the transmit light on the OT2 comes on and the TV messes up (a sure sign I'm getting out.) I'm out in the sticks, so TVI with my 5 watt transmitter is not a problem for the neighbors. However when I type a message in the message window (after selecting a station to contact) there is no indication of RF out. The text I typed goes from the input box up to the dialog window and stays green. Is there something I'm missing or perhaps something I've inadvertently checked (or un-checked) ?
Messages are sent out the interface(s) that "make sense". If the destination station has been heard on ANY RF interface, messages to that station will be sent out ALL message-enabled RF interfaces. All messages will be sent out via -IS if Messages are enabled on the APRS-IS port.

You can change this behavior with the "Best" checkbox on the chat, if it is enabled. You can also read about APRS messaging ins and outs at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messaging-explained

Thanks and 73 Ron