#Bioko #bioko

Gareth Morgan

I find it helps me clarify my ideas if I get input from others with maybe different ideas. I've been thinking about the Bioko hypothesis and find that I don't know enough about it to come to any conclusions. To that end, can anyone answer these questions?

I believe there are about eleven species of primate living on Bioko today. Do many of them have one or more of the same aquatic adaptations as humans?

If not, what factors could have affected human ancestors so radically differently to all the others in the same environment?

Are those eleven species similar to related mainland species or are they all unique to Bioko?

If different, have they been there long enough to speciate (10 million years?)?

If similar, did they cross over from the mainland? If so how?

Since there are several very ancient species, including the Zenkerella or scaly tailed squirrel -- a living fossil, virtually unchanged for over 35 million years -- still living on Bioko, can we assume that the habitat has not changed much?

If the evolution of archaic humans was significantly 'affected by the practice of wading, swimming and diving to procure food from aquatic habitats' on Bioko, what foods are plentiful in the sea around Bioko? Are they obtainable by wading, swimming and diving, i.e. without tools?

Sources say that Bioko has been connected to the mainland during every ice age because of lower sea levels -- hence the number of related species on the mainland -- if so, what could have been the pressure to learn to wade and swim and dive?

Thanks,

G.