Re: Aborinine agriculture

alandarwinvanarsdale

Many mistakes about hunter-gatherers are related failing to understand all hunter gatherer people are people marginalized to lands unwanted by colonialists. Despite the San being in unwanted lands, more recent studies have shown their life is not the life of drudgery and toil as thought by the West. There is still some doubt first agriculture is SW Asian or that the concept of first agriculture any place is even correct. Marine sediments strongly suggest Sahulian "fire stick farming" dates back to about 120kya. California had fire stick farming going back around 12,000 years.

On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 6:57 AM Gareth Morgan <garethmorgan@...> wrote:
I didn't know this. It changes pretty much everything we thought we knew about the beginning of agriculture. i.e. it happened about 12,000/ 8,000/ 4,500 years ago (sources differ), well after the last ice age anyway, and it started in the "fertile crescent" of the near east.

"The First Nations people of Australia were the first farmers on earth. They developed massive stone eel traps which can still be seen today. They also domesticated the murnong - the first European settlers wrote that the yellow flowers of the murnong “stretched from horizon to horizon, as far as the eye could see” with women tending to them, digging them, turning the soil carefully, replanting and weeding. All this, and STILL they persisted in seeing the First Nation peoples as “hunters and gatherers”. This is due to the fact that once the invasion started, the people HAD TO adopt a hunter/gatherer life style and move on as they were pushed further and further into marginal lands."

This species of Murnong was the main staple food for the Wurundjeri Aboriginal people until the mid-1840s, when the introduction of sheep rendered this hillslope yam virtually extinct.
G.

Join AAT@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.