Re: Looks like the neutral Theory and Molecular Clock has finally been proven wrong.

alandarwinvanarsdale

OriginsofaquaticresourceuseinEastAfricaandtheimplicationsforbreadthofhominindietary  versatilityat2mya
 WillArcher
1
,DavidBraun
2
1 - Human Evolution Department, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology · 2 - Center for the Advanced Study of Hominid Paleobiology, e George Washington University ereisgeneralagreementthathominindietunderwentdramaticchangesshortlyaerthetimestoneartifactsappearintherecord.Itisgenerallyassumedthesechangesareassociatedwithdietaryexpansionthroughtheexploitationoflargeterrestrialmammalre-sources.HerewepresentaseriesofanalysesthatsuggesttheabsenceofaquaticresourcesindiscussionshithertoofearlyPleistocenehominin diet may be partially attributable to prevailing zoo-archaeological methodology. We employ a series of archaeological,ethnographicandexperimentaldatasetstoarguethataquaticresourceusewasanimportantcomponentofhomininsubsistenceby 1.95 mya. We present experimental and archaeological data on (1) bone fragmentation, (2) taxonomic diversity, (3) bone surfacemodification,(4)skeletalelementproportion(5)sizeprofiledistributionsand(6)crocodilianscavenging,todevelopourargument. Wesuggestthattheemergenceofaquaticresourceexploitationwasassociatedwithaspecificsetofrelativeadvantagescomparedtorelianceonanexclusivelyterrestrialresourcebase.eseinclude(a)areductioninenergeticinvestmentrelativetoeconomicreturn,(b)adecreaseinthetechnologicalcostsofresourceacquisition,and(c)areducedlevelofinter-specificcompetitionassociatedwithaquaticforagingopportunitiesandconsequentlyanelevatedprobabilityofcapitalization.eincorporationofaquaticso-tissuesintothehominindietatatimeoftheyearwhenotherresourcesaredepletedoffatmayhavebeenamoreimportantcomponentof hominindietarystrategythanwaspreviouslyassumed.isstrategywouldhaveallowedamaintainedseasonallyconsistentsourceof calorie-dense foods. e seasonal contexts within which specific aquatic species are accessible, suggest that exploiting them may have offset fluctuations in hominin energetic intake associated with variability in the seasonal availability of terrestrial fo

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 9:44 AM alandarwinvanarsdale via groups.io <alandarwinvanarsdale=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Molecular clocks, and thus the neutral theory, have long been proven wrong by the fossil record and Drosophila researchers. Not a lot of valid universal magic bullets in biology.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 9:39 AM Marc Verhaegen <m_verhaegen@...> wrote:
??
What is going too obvious, Chris?
And which "doc" do you mean?

--marc

______

   From: AAT@groups.io <AAT@groups.io> on behalf of Jack D.Barnes
<needininfo@...>Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2022 5:34 PMTo:
AAT@groups.io <AAT@groups.io>Subject: Re: [AAT] Looks like the neutral
Theory and Molecular Clock has finally been proven wrong.

  Gareth, You never read the papers I sent you.  The MGD explains the
cichlids lightning quick adaptation.  The Neutral Theory does not.
-Jack

   On Jul 28, 2022, at 9:18 AM, Gareth Morgan <garethmorgan@...>
wrote:
    ridiculously short 4-6mya origin in Africa

  On the other hand, we have 500 species of cichlid fish in Lake
Victoria that have all evolved in the last 15,000 years, so we can be
absolutely certain that Shi Huang is also wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Victoria#Cichlid_fish

  I am disinclined to accept any molecular clock, including his.

  I don't see why he tweeted that link because nowhere in the paper can
I see anything that gives any indication of how long ago Humanity
evolved.

  Am I missing something? Anybody?

  We know humans have been around for more than 15,000 years and 20
million years to evolve just three species -- Man, chimp and bonobo --
from a common ancestor seems very unlikely. Cockroaches are evolving
faster than that.4 - 6 million years seems about right, and the fossil
record seems to support it.

  G.

   From: AAT@groups.io <AAT@groups.io> on behalf of Jack D.Barnes
<needininfo@...>Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2022 4:49 PMTo:
AAT@groups.io <AAT@groups.io>Subject: [AAT] Looks like the neutral
Theory and Molecular Clock has finally been proven wrong.

    Greetings,
  My favorite Geneticist, Dr. Shi Huang, just tweeted this interesting
paper (see link below). It disproves the infinite site model and the end
of the Molecular Clock (ridiculously short 4-6mya origin in Africa) and
Mootoo Kimora’s Neutral Theory.

  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04965-x.pdf

  -Jack

  -- Welcome to the Aquatic Ape Theory Discussion Group

Join AAT@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.