Re: Zinjanthropus afarensis->boisei

alandarwinvanarsdale

Land is rising and falling over time same as sea levels. If you find marine deposits you know the ocean was there at that time and place. Predicting when Islands were connected to Mainlands is tricky and not always certain. However geologists doing this do know what they are doing and this is a branch of geology a lot of effort has been put into. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________If there is no deep water between an Island and the Mainland it likely has been connected a number of times and around 100kya or more recently. Flores has not been connected to the Mainland within the last 5 million years and Crete was connected at times. I have read the actual literature on these issues and am able to understand it. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________It has been grossly underestimated a to the ability of Hominids in general to cross bodies of water including in sight of the Mainland Islands. We do not actually need land bridges to explain initial settlements or gene flow after the fact of settlement. This relates to the strong past biases against AAT.

Sent from Mail for Windows

From: Gareth Morgan
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 9:40 AM
To: AAT@groups.io
Subject: Re: [AAT] Zinjanthropus afarensis->boisei

Always hard to tell how much is guesswork with these bold statements, especially when they are made in support of a theory about the "chronicle of dispersal" of tiny insects many millions of years ago. Is the sea level evidence presented to support the dispersal theory, or is the apparent distribution of the insects presented as evidence for higher sea levels?

If sea levels were high enough to cover Syria and most of Italy ( current altitude ca 500metres) in the middle and late Miocene, why was most of the Sahara (alt. ca. 200 m.)not also flooded?

I reckon you can make any guesses you want to fit any theory and no one can contradict you.

G.