Re: Homo erectus (sensu stricto) the most aquatically adapted hominin?

Gareth Morgan

Thanks, Francesca.

Would it be possible to reveal the source of this text

That would be me.  Email, subject "Second draft" about where when and how we became aquatic.

 many of our “aquatic” adaptations stretch back at least as far as the early Miocene and most of the changes seem to be instigated by climatic changes.

Agreed. But they didn't spring up, fully formed overnight. They gradually improved, gradually increased in number and range of functions.

I'm not making any guesses about what happened before the Miocene --  what the climate was like in some particular region, tectonic events, sea levels, vegetation, predators or the particular 'cause' of any specific change in physiology. For one thing I'm sure that none of these conditions remained unchanged for millions of years at any point, so too much of it is guesswork based on insufficient evidence. Almost anything could have happened somewhere at some point.

reversal from upright bipedalism towards arborealism

Not aware of any evidence for this "reversal". Not to say it couldn't or didn't happen, but if I ever knew of any evidence, I've forgotten.

My only comments would be that, once we learned to throw, we were never able to brachiate again because of the change in orientation of our pectoral muscle.. Once we became bipedal, the loss of the divergent hallux meant we could never grasp a branch with our feet again. Not sure what kind of arborealism this would leave us.

 I don’t believe sapiens are the most aquatic. I think early Homo was more aquatic than we are now.

We need to look at the other features that you consider reversals to see if any of them are aquatic features that we have lost since early Homo....

You mention...

6 Ma: human-like foot morphology (loss of arborealism). -- Arborealism is definitely not aquatic.

5-2 Ma: Gradual reversal from upright bipedalism. -- Don't think I believe this (Open to persuasion. See above.) but anyway bipedalism is either not essentially aquatic, in which case it's irrelevant or it is, in which case we have become more aquatic (more upright), not less, since early Homo.

2.0 Ma: Homo appears:  taller, larger with longer legs, increased thoracic capacity, heavier leg bones, heavier crania, larger brain (significant development of cortex associated with vision and manual dexterity), improved dexterity, platycephaly, hooded nose, thick brow ridges, improved shoulder rotation, no evidence of sexual dimorphism, more sophisticated stone tool use, shellfish consumption. -- Other than the thick brow ridges (survival benefit not obvious to me) these all seem to be increases in aquatic adaptation.

300 ka to present: Ear exostoses, larger brains, heavy bones, multiple crania fractures, larger eyes (cold-water diving?) -- Again these seem to be evidence of a more aquatic lifestyle, not less.

Which aquatic features do you think we have lost, then? What makes you think we are less well adapted to warm, cold, shallow, deep, clean, muddy, fresh or salt water than any of the less derived hominins? Your entire timeline seems perfectly to support my observation that aquatic adaptations have been a gradual, punctuated, cumulative process that has continued till today.

G.