Topics

"Amateur radio is coming back to the Smithsonian!"

kd9xb

From: SI Email Announcements
Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 3:25 PM
To: SI-GEO-FtPierce, FL; SI-GEO-National Capital Region; SI-GEO-NYC All Sites; si-GEO-NZP-SCBI Front Royal, VA; SI-GEO-Remote Locations; SI-GEO-SAO All Sites; si-GEO-SERC Edgewater, MD; si-GEO-STRI Panama
Subject: Smithsonian Amateur Radio Group - NN3SI

Amateur radio is coming back to the Smithsonian!

Amateur radio, otherwise known as ham radio, is a popular hobby and service that brings people, electronics and communications together. People use amateur radio to talk across town, around the world, or even into space, all without the internet or cell phones. It's fun, social, educational, and can be a lifeline during times of need. Radio communications have many research, educational and emergency applications.

The Smithsonian operated a full amateur radio station “NN3SI” in the National Museum of American History from 1976-2008. In 2008, the amateur radio station was taken offline and put into storage indefinitely. A full decade since operations ceased, amateur radio has returned as a new pan-Smithsonian activity, the Smithsonian amateur radio group.

We have several radio communications projects planned for the upcoming year, and we would love your participation. Whether you are an experienced radio operator, or just interested to learn more, please join us!

For additional information, please send an email to nn3si@....

Please feel free to read our article in the Torch:

https://torch.si.edu/2019/04/calling-all-broadcasters-station-nn3si-is-back-on-the-air/

For further information on this message, contact nn3si@....