beginner question

Jerry

Hello all,
I initially sent this to the club’s general email account and Mike Callaham, NW3V, suggested i submit to this group.

My son and I are studying for the Technician Class license exam and at the same time are learning about and researching to buy our first radio.
Unfortunately I’ll be traveling for work this week and am not able to attend the monthly meeting or I would introduce myself and ask in person.

I’m thinking of starting with a handheld transceiver and adding/upgrading from there as we grow into it.

The Baofeng’s seem to get good reviews as an entry-level radio at an affordable price.
I found one model (UV-5X3) that is a tri-band that includes the 220-225 MHz band.
From what I’ve read on-line, that band has been less-used in the past but I don’t know if that has changed.

so my questions are:
1. Should I look only at radios that include the 220-225MHz band? is this an important feature for a first radio?
2. Do you have any concerns about starting with a handheld?
3. Do you have any comments or concerns about Baofeng’s in general? Until I saw the UV-5X3 I was looking at the UV-82HP or the BF-F8HP (though the lower speaker power has me leaning towards the UV-82HP).

thank you for your time,
Jerry Foster

Join AARC-PUBLIC@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.