Re: Diverse + inclusive acquisitions policies?

April Vasher-Dean

Here at SUNY Potsdam we use this language within our Collections Management Policy.  You might find it useful.  Feel free to contact me if you would like to see the entire written policy.

D.  STATEMENT OF PROCEDURE

Acquisition of Objects – The Director and the Collections Manager, in their charge of growing and strengthening the Collections, are responsible for the search of possible gifts, donations, bequests, and purchases.  Of particular interest are objects that build on the Collections’ strengths and/or supplement scholarship, research, and education.  Also, of consideration is strengthening the Collections with the addition of objects by under-represented and diverse peoples and categories to broaden existing Collections…

April Vasher-Dean, Director

The Art Museum, SUNY Potsdam

44 Pierrepont Ave

Potsdam, NY 13676

(315)267-2481- phone

(315)267-4884- fax

www.potsdam.edu/museum

From: <AAMG@groups.io> on behalf of "Kovacs, Claire" <clairekovacs@...>
Date: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 10:46 AM
To: "AAMG@groups.io" <AAMG@groups.io>
Subject: [AAMG] Diverse + inclusive acquisitions policies?

Dear All,

As the Augustana Teaching Museum of Art lives into its new strategic framework (available here, for anyone interested), we are looking to write an acquisitions policy that centers diverse and inclusive collecting practices. Can anyone share their policy and/or know of any policies that we could look at as examples? I know that museums like the Baltimore Museum of Art are making this turn, but am not sure if any organizations have incorporated this at a policy level.

My thanks, in advance, for any leads you might be able to provide.

All the best,

--

Claire L. Kovacs, PhD

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Director, Augustana Teaching Museum of Art

Augustana College

Rock Island, IL

Located on the ancestral homelands of the Sauk, Meskwaki, and Miami Nations.

Join AAMG@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.