Thacher family summer homes

Ebby Thacher’s family summer homes in Manchester, Vermont:

This is the season when Ebby Thacher shot at pigeons on his roof  during late summer 1934—an important component of our AA beginnings.  So, I thought it appropriate to send these attachments . The attachment on the left pictures the different Thacher “summer residences” in Manchester Vermont from the late 1800s.  These were rented till they finally purchased the house at 110 Taconic Road in 1923. This residence is across the street from where President Lincoln’s son, Robert Todd Lincoln, lived till 1903 while building  a memorial to his father: HILDENE.   (Ebby’s father, George Thacher,   played golf with Robert and then-President Taft during the early 1900s). So you can see this was a pretty prestigious neighborhood. Probably not a good place to get drunk and shoot at pigeons on your roof as Ebby did—but that is a different story.

The Lincoln house at 125 Taconic Road is sometimes specified where the Thacher family resided. Probably not!  Research reveals that George H. Thacher purchased the residence at 110 Taconic Road in 1923, as the right two of the above attachments will disclose. Interestingly, the north portion of  the 1923 Thacher property connected to that of Lois Wilson’s parents estate (the Burnhams) .  This drawing is from: “ROGERS BURNHAM, the original man behind Bill W.” by Leslie B. Cole.  Page 137. Leslie was friends with one of Ebby’s older brothers as a youth.

Diagram, engineering drawing

Description automatically generated    The vertical street is Main Street and the horizonal is Taconic Road.   The property at the upper right was the “Hoyt House,” once rented by the Thachers.   

Next trip to the WILSON HOUSE be sure to visit Manchester. They used to present a guided tour.  Most of these structures are still there.

Bob S

Robert Stonebraker

212 SW 18th Street

Richmond, In  47374

(765) 935-0130

--
Bob S

jimmiemacj@...

Bob,
thank you for your service;   
I have always heard a rumor that the Grenadier(By drink a pot) ie: Bills story in the big book; that the last name on the tombstone was Thatcher. Any truth to that?
I'm a 'newbie'
Love the historical AA...It showcases the seconds and inches leading to So many miracles 

Jimmy McGonagle

Jim

Attached is an image of the tombstone with the name "Thetcher." Ebby's last name was Thacher. 

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 2:27 AM <jimmiemacj@...> wrote:
Bob,
thank you for your service;   
I have always heard a rumor that the Grenadier(By drink a pot) ie: Bills story in the big book; that the last name on the tombstone was Thatcher. Any truth to that?
I'm a 'newbie'
Love the historical AA...It showcases the seconds and inches leading to So many miracles 

Jimmy McGonagle