Rokit 3D Photo Loop Demo App #software #android

Andy Modla

In case you have not seen this post on Photo-3D, I am adding it here since it is relevant to 3D display devices.

Hello!
I have been writing code for an Android demo prototype app that displays 3D photos in a loop on the glasses free Rokit 3D Pro phone. It's my digital version of an experimental 3D reel (aka View Master) for distributing photos in a collection. The app displays nine 3D photos using the volume up button to select the next photo in the loop.

The volume down button will toggle photo zoom at 1X, 2X, and 4X magnification. At any magnification you can move the photo with your finger to see portions of large images.

The photos range in size (w x h) from 751x847  to 3988x1431 and max 7680x4320 (8K) per eye photo, and are stored as left and right pairs internally, as there is no internet access from the app. Note that at 4X magnification some photos give me eye strain, so beware. I have not added parallax to correct this automatically.

I noticed at the built-in 3D gallery app will scale large photos when read from storage and lose display resolution. My app shows the original photo without any scaling up to 8K. Viewing larger than 8K per eye photos may result in the app experiencing an out of memory condition. I shot the 8K photos with a Nikon Z7 using L/R eye sequential capture. All photos were aligned with Stereo Photo Maker (thank you Masuji Suto)

I'm interested in your comments about this distribution method.
You can try the signed app stored at:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W7rrZPYZECFlpunG-5SajUBwxyADZZv1

Enjoy,
Andy Modla

Arif

I have had a little play around on the IO Pro with the app. The photos are amazing and have really good quality. You are right, the 4x zoom is a bit much but the 2x zoom is excellent in my opinion. The volume buttons will also adjust the volume on the device, not an issue for me personally but I guess it might be for some.

Just something small as well, I noticed if I press volume down from the initial information page instead of volume up, a message appears stating 'Problem reading photos'

I have also noticed the app supports split screen mode. Might be better to disable this in terms of user experience.

Overall it's the images and the quality that makes this app appealing, great job!

Andy Modla

Hi Arif,
Thanks for reviewing the app and your compliments about the photos and app.
I can fix the issues you found, your help is much appreciated.

Andy

Andy Modla

I updated the app to fix problems and put it in the Google play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andymodla.r3dreel

It's still a demo for an experimental distribution platform using glasses free 3D phones.

Andy