Topics

5 spd Manual

Karl vH

I would like to drive a little better then 45mph, say maybe 60-65 ish.....Is there a 5 speed transmission that is compatible with the flat head 6

Bob Howell - 39-TF and more - Adventure Coast, FL

Karl,

There is a 5spd for these flat heads. Even if you fitted the trans to your engine, I suspect you have a pickup and not a larger truck, it would do you no good. 5th gear is one to one, just as the 4spd and the 3spd.

Your first option is larger tires than what you have right now. You won't get to 60, maybe 50-55.

Your next option is to find a Dodge car rear end and swap the pumpkin for a higher ratio rear (3.93 or 3.73 if you are lucky). There is a thread on the forum about this, giving what fits from which vehicles, during what years, both cars and trucks.

You could swap your current rear end for a late model one. Go through the process of rehanging springs, modifying the drive train to fit, modifying brakes and other little querks that go along with that. There are several members on the forum who have done so and more than likely would give advice on how to do it.

In the end however, unless you did a lot of additional work, you would have a truck tooling down the road at 60mph that was NEVER designed to run that fast. Inadequate brakes and steering, poor avoidance maneuvering, totally inadequate occupant protection, and so on.

Therefore, I have not and will not recommend any of  the above steps. Whatever you do, its your choice.

Bob

39-TF and more

Nature Coast, FL

--
Bob

39-TF and more

Nature Coast, FL

Daryl Day

Hi Karl,
The only "cpmpatible" 5 speed is used in the bigger trucks and it is still 1:1 ratio in 5th, so outcome will be same as 3 or 4 speed trans. There's a fair bit of modification required to fit an overdrive 5 speed, although some have done it. There may even be kits out there for the purpose, but I don't know. You can also change diff ratio or even change entire diff to get more top end speed. Depending what ratio you already have, how many RPM is your engine doing at 45mph?

Cheers,
Daryl in Oz
DD4-35/M601

On Thursday, 16 April 2020, 10:42:50 am AEST, Karl vH <karl@...> wrote:

I would like to drive a little better then 45mph, say maybe 60-65 ish.....Is there a 5 speed transmission that is compatible with the flat head 6

DON SHERMAN

Good reply bob!..
   Karl these are good 40 mph trucks. Much faster than that stock steering, brakes & suspension make for a very ‘’squirrely’’ ride....oh and dangerous...
Donzie
39tc
Louisiana

On Apr 15, 2020, at 8:08 PM, Bob Howell - 39-TF and more - Adventure Coast, FL <howellr@...> wrote:

[...]

charlieoldtruck

Gents,

I use my 46 2 ton with stock drive train and tires quite regularly. It will go 50 mph absolute top end, but it is really not happy, comfortable or safe feeling at that speed.  Comfortable and safe cruising speed is 40 to 45 mph.

So, I plan routes and times to avoid traffic and avoid highways if possible, etc.

My longest trip to date was a little less than 1000 miles. It is tough and tiring to keep at the wheel all day on a long trip so I try to keep to 4 hours of driving and lots of stops.  My plan is to make a canopy to cover loads and that might be handy for camping if I can plan some longer trips in the future.  If you head east or south or north from where I live and the truck breaks down you will get help from a handy farmer who's grand dad had a truck like yours.

Anyway, I think the best things is to accept the limitations of speed. If you want to go faster I think the best thing is to put the body on a modern chassis with drive train.

Charlie Perry
46 2 ton Calgary
WestRiver Industrial Inc.

On Thursday, April 16, 2020, 06:03:14 a.m. MDT, DON SHERMAN via groups.io <ssher40362@...> wrote:

[...]

I imagine that's why when I see an old truck that's been re-powered it also most likely will have updated axels or braking systems or perhaps even a mustang II front suspension. But then again maybe your telling me that the whole frame is incompatible with higher speeds do to stress and metal fatigue.

Dave

Noted the photo of 318 swapped into the frame, I did a similar modification of my 1941 WC as it was without any drive train when i found it. Ended  up putting a carbureted V-6 (Dodge 3.9 L, from 1988) into the frame which i modified the suspension with a Volare cross member and attachments. That gave me power steering, new upgraded power assisted brakes, Ididit steering column, Cordoba steering wheel, Dakota bench seat,  independent suspension, new front cross member (k-member) , automatic transmission (Mopar A-04 from 1977  Dodge Aspen, and a rear end from a 1989 4 X 4 Dakota, put on B F Goodrich A/T tires and had a very comfortable ride.  Drove it in 1996 all the way from San Diego to Auburn Hills, Michigan to the WPC Club national show. 2500 miles at 70 MPH,  but we drove mostly on state highways, less traveled, Then back to SoCal, via US 2 along the northern US, - all told, 9000 miles, six weeks trip. great time. Now, as Bob said the passenger compartment is definitely not designed for comfort and safety at those speeds.  it also lacks any sort or streamline or airflow, but acts more like a big sail or box. It was easy to drive, but other than the seat belts i installed, lacked any sort of safety protection that we all have taken for granted. Oh, i did install electric wipers which were a godsent in Michigan, but rarely used here now. Also, was the first to install digital gauges in the dash, using the stock bezels, and of course a 12V system all around, i attended one car show in West Branch, Michigan were they had a team of safety inspectors from NSRA that crawled all over and under the truck (at my request) to ascertain the roadworthiness, and it passed no problem.  But, would i do it all over again now?  I don't think so. That was 24 years ago and i was much younger then.   I do drive it locally, and in the country, but have to be very aware of the conditions in traffic all the time.  Now has 35000 miles on it. it would take a major hit to break it, like a tree, or a head on, as the steel is pretty tough and its pretty tight. . Still glad i did it when i did. A great driving truck now, locally .
Dave Fenner,
1941 WC
1945 WFA-32
1946 WF-32