Topics

Losing 30M

N9JCA Chris Matthews

As you may all ready know, FT4 is now Operating in the PSK31 Portion of 30M, and if we don't band together, we will lose 30M just like 17M. To me, FT8 and FT4, are nothing but Contest Modes; and like all other contests, shouldn't be allowed on the WARC Bands. When FT8 and FT4 were initiated, the Developers and Operators just took over the Frequencies, with no respect to the other Modes that were all ready in motion. I like to work JT65 and JT9; but due to the fact that FT8 like to control the Bands, with NO respect and due consideration and running excess Power, this is no longer possible. FT8 is usually set up on XX.74, and JT65 is setup on XX.76. When the FT8 Frequency gets busy, then the Operators just start using the JT65 Frequency; IMHO this is not right. So the question is "How to we save the 30M PSK31 Portion from being taken over by FT4"

Even though there is a Sunday meeting on 30M for All Modes; I think we should do this every day. A few months ago, Paula,7PAX was in Arizona on vacation; so schedules were made to accommodate the occasion; in essence what we had, was a sort of "Flash Mob", which worked out fairly well. Maybe we need to think on these lines again, and do it on a daily basis.

Propagation maybe bad right now, but will eventually get better as time goes along

Let me say this. I'm not trying to start Hate and Discontent; but something needs to be done, before it gets out of hand

This is just "One Mans Opinion"

Thanks in advance for taking time to read this note

Chris N9JCA; 30MDC #0333 PODXS # 797

73

Gwen Patton

There are MEETINGS on 30m? Maybe if that was a bit more widely known, more people would show up. I've been in the group for 8-9 months, and this is the first I'm hearing of it.

What times are these meetings? Are they in PSK31? I'll make a point of showing up now that I know they're HAPPENING.

Gwen, NG3P
30MDG #8311

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

N9JCA Chris Matthews

Hi Gwen

Don puts out a memo every Friday for the Sunday get together

All Modes on 30M Usually starts about 00:00 until 05:00 UTC

Here is a list

Chris N9JCA 30MDG #0333

73

0.100 - 10.130 CW   ****

10.130 -  FT8Call
10.132 - SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 2

10.132 - 10.134  RO0.100 - 10.130 CW   ****

10.130 -  FT8Call
10.132 - SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 2

10.132 - 10.134  ROS Region 1 (Region 2 - note not legal in USA)

10.135 - OPERA

10.136 - FT8 (WSJT)  ****

10.138 - JT65 JT9 (WSJT)
10.1386 - MEPT/WSPR
10.138 - 10.140 - JT65 (WSJT)
10.1405 - PROPNET & PropNet Robots (BPSK31)
10.140 - 10.141 BPSK31 QRP
10.140 - 10.142  BPSK31 - DX Region 1,2,3 (or BPSK/QPSK,31,63,125,etc.)  ****

10.142 -  10.144  RTTY
10.142 - 10.145  RTTY,MFSK,THOR,THROB,DOMINO,OLIVIA,CONTESTIA, SIM31,etc. -
note:Turn on TXID/RXID
10.144 - FeldHELL (10.137 - 10.144)
10.144 - SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 1
10.142 - 10.144 - ALE-400hz
10.145 - 10.148 - ALE-2khz
10.147 – 10.148 PSKMail/APRS
10.1491 - 10.1495 APRS

On 8/12/19 6:26 PM, Gwen Patton wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for that post. I think I saw one once, but I haven't seen them very often.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:19 PM N9JCA Chris Matthews <n9jca.chris@...> wrote:

[...]

DupyRail

From my past observations, before FT8/4 came along, there was very little activity on 30. I've tried calling CQ numerous time on various digital type freqs, but have nothing but crickets, even on the Sun events. The only activity is the FT8/4 on the band plus some CW. At least there is some use which is better than no use. Prop hasn't been that bad on 30 with foreign stations coming in ( well in EN53 ) as well as many stateside.

Andy K9ATX

On 8/12/2019 5:38 PM, N9JCA Chris Matthews wrote:
[...]

"Where the Old Soo crossed the New Soo"
Duplainville, Wisconsin

Web Page: www.dupyrail.com

Don_KB9UMT

There was a lot of activity on 30m PSK and other digital ragchew modes (Olivia/Contestia/MSK/etc.) in the 10.140 to 10.142 area of the band from around 2007 to 2014 or so then activity seemed to stop and for sure the PSK activity on 30m (and other bands) stopped when FT8 started in 2017.  Bottom line I guess use it or lose it and if no one is using an area of the band or a mode not used as much it goes to the more used mode with more activity which FT8 wins...and now FT4 at 10.140 to 10.142.  That being said I still have gave it a go on Sunday nights and find a few PSK contacts but noticed most moving up to the 10.142 to 10.143 even 10.144 area so if FT4 signals are there move up a little I guess.....one Sunday night the FT4 signals too many and strong so I had to move to 10.1425 to 10.143 area.

--
Don KB9UMT  30MDG#00001  Founder/Award Manager
www.30mdg.org

Bry Carling AF4K

Thank you for the update Don. It is rather frustrating with these other modes the people get all excited about where we can’t have a conversation.

Collecting points can be useful and someways but as a Memes in itself and the sole purpose of operating the radio - rather limiting.

Best regards - Bry Carling, AF4K / G3XLQ
ORLANDO /
LONDON