Topics

Near disaster

Jerry N9AVY

A few weeks ago I spent a bunch of hours creating a searchable file on Open Office spreadsheet. All the 070 members I had worked were listed with a yellow background and I could search file in Alpha-numeric order.  For me with my limited computer skills it was a great accomplishment.

So this morning I went to check a couple stations I had worked and the stupid software asked me for my name, so I foolishly did so.   To my horror when I went to access database, everything was gone !!!   Got that feeling of panic ,  nausea and that sinking feeling.   Several attempts were unsuccessful.   Finally, out of desperation, I checked for the file and managed to find it …oh joy !!! 

Not exactly sure what happened, but I did manage to recover file by “dumb luck”. Now to put it someplace really safe. 

There is joy in Mudville !

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

bowerjohn41

Ouch but glad you recovered the file.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019, 11:06 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

A few weeks ago I spent a bunch of hours creating a searchable file on Open Office spreadsheet. All the 070 members I had worked were listed with a yellow background and I could search file in Alpha-numeric order.  For me with my limited computer skills it was a great accomplishment.

So this morning I went to check a couple stations I had worked and the stupid software asked me for my name, so I foolishly did so.   To my horror when I went to access database, everything was gone !!!   Got that feeling of panic ,  nausea and that sinking feeling.   Several attempts were unsuccessful.   Finally, out of desperation, I checked for the file and managed to find it …oh joy !!! 

Not exactly sure what happened, but I did manage to recover file by “dumb luck”. Now to put it someplace really safe. 

Jerry  n9avy

Paul NU4C

Jerry.
Save the file to your computer hard drive, then COPY it to a thumb drive or some other secondary drive (that is not on the same computer).Do this every time you modify your file and you will always have a backup copy.
Paul NU4C 

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/4/19 11:12 (GMT-05:00)
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Near disaster

Ouch but glad you recovered the file.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019, 11:06 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Jerry  n9avy