Topics

Grids

Jerry N9AVY

Collecting grids has been a lot of fun !   Just checked on my statistics and found that am just 5 grids to be at 350 grids worked.   There are 11 state where I need between 1 and 3 grids to close out the state.   In One case, EN65 will finish out WI & MI.  Seems like after checking QRZ, there are many hams in some of these states , but not many , if any, on PSK.  Over the years there have been many grids heard , but not worked; that is, would hear and call them, but never got a response. Durn.

Many thanks to those like N7WE , KC3EF, K7RID and others who took time in their travels to operate from some rare/scarce grids.  Am sure there are others, but they don’t come to my old mind now.

This is the kind of stuff that makes PSK fun !   All anyone has to do is enter the grid # (2 letters & 2 digits) into their log and when you submit you log to the Checker, it will credit you with that grid and keep on tally on what you’ve worked and need to work.

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Bill Maier

Perhaps a dumb question, but how do you know what grid they are in? Do they put the grid in their CQ call, or do they just tell you during the QSO?

-Bill  KG5RMJ

Rick - N7WE

Good question Bill!  And I hope it indicates you are thinking about joining the fun in collecting grids.

The answer kind of has two parts.  First, those who are on trips and specifically activating grids (like Dick's - KC3EF/M - current trip) include the grid in either their CQ or their report, or both. In addition, Dick posts here as he enters different grids if he has internet service.  He also compiles a list of who needs what and will be looking for him, and text messages us when he is about to enter the grid we need, again if he has service.  And when you get out west, there is LOTS of places where there still is no service.

Second, most of the grids you collect will not be from people on Grid-peditions.  This is especially true for most of the grids east of the Mississipi.  You just rack them up as you make Qs.  QRZ.com will automatically fill most logging software with the other person's grid, but this info is not always accurate. You can always ask the other person to confirm their grid during the Q.  And here is a handy tool, http://www.levinecentral.com/ham/grid_square.php that can check grid by address.  But note that if you search by call, it again goes to QRZ.com data.  QRZ addresses are usually pretty reliable, but grids are often user supplied and sometimes wrong.

Dick - KC3EF/M - will soon be headed back to Florida and there will be lots of opportunities to pick up some of the rarer grids as he makes his way back.  Watch for his posting here on the group.  Hope to see you working him and building up your "grid total"!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jerry N9AVY

Adding to Rick’s comment about grids.  QRZ is generally right, but some people move and never change grid locations.  What you can do in that case is to set QRZ to “address mode” and search for other stations in that town.  It will usually give you the correct grid if you check a few.  On the air, if you ask the stations grid and he says he has no idea, ask him what he’s closest to and yu can usually figure out grid  from there.  Had to do that with a friend operating portable from Gackle, ND.

Jerry   n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Perhaps a dumb question, but how do you know what grid they are in? Do they put the grid in their CQ call, or do they just tell you during the QSO?

-Bill  KG5RMJ

Geary McDowell

Good information, thanks to all who shared.  I use HRD as my main log book and it aggravates me, especially during last year's ARRL Grid Chase, that I would have a grid and HRD would change it.  I finally gave up and just make contacts for fun and they grid just pile up.  I trust, maybe foolishly, to let HRD/QRZ etc. to mark them for my log.  I have contact(s) with Dick lately, and I'll bet HRD put his home grid in my log.  HI HI  Oh well, I just keep having fun and enjoy the positive information shared in the list, I do learn some times.
73 Geary KE5IRK EM04so  always.  HI HI

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 10:51 AM Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...> wrote:

Adding to Rick’s comment about grids.  QRZ is generally right, but some people move and never change grid locations.  What you can do in that case is to set QRZ to “address mode” and search for other stations in that town.  It will usually give you the correct grid if you check a few.  On the air, if you ask the stations grid and he says he has no idea, ask him what he’s closest to and yu can usually figure out grid  from there.  Had to do that with a friend operating portable from Gackle, ND.

Jerry   n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Perhaps a dumb question, but how do you know what grid they are in? Do they put the grid in their CQ call, or do they just tell you during the QSO?

-Bill  KG5RMJ

Jerry N9AVY

Most logging programs can be inaccurate depending on the source of their data.  If it’s QRZ, it’s highly likely that data may be inaccurate when it comes to grids and IOTA numbers.  Always cross-check against another data base like FCC or WM7D, for example.