Topics

Bogus Eqsls ???

Jerry N9AVY

This morning I received about 7 Eqsls from a YO3 station. Checked against my actual logs and found only 2 were legitimate while the rest (all from 2013) were fake. Got to be careful with Eqsl as there seem to be some who put in bogus data.

Jerry n9avy

K7DWI Art

When I got back on the air in Oregon this last August, I made a few FT8 QSOs to see id everything was working okay.
I am quickly learning that with a mountain to my east and northeast that it is easier to work Asian, Oceania and Australia than the Midwest U.S.
After a couple of weeks, I received 2 European SWL QSL requests on eQSL. Both requests showed who I had QSO'd with and the report I had sent.
After a few more weeks,  I have come to terms that I am not working Europe, let alone getting WAS anytime in the foreseeable future. I am only hearing California on PSK31 (but have worked Texas and Arizona).
I finally realized those 2 European QSL requests came off of one of the real time reporting sites.  Policy is no more SWL QSLs will be accepted and those QSLs were deleted. All my logging ADIF files are loaded to both eQSL and LOTW and are automatically checked off in a matching.

Now I have a new problem. A recent Windows 10 update has killed my input device on a laptop. External microphone/line input does not function. Thank you Microsoft!!
I hope to get my tower up eventually with a new HF beam. Praying it helps or will have to go longpath or backscatter as the Sun gets active again. Also have a 800 year old mast for a 160 Meter sloper (Sequoia).

73 Art K7DWI #2518

John Fickler

You might have to re-install the drivers associated with the microphone/line input.

John
W8VYM

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:24 PM K7DWI Art <k7dwicn82@...> wrote:
[...]

Art,
It has done it to me several times.  Go into the Sounds and check the levels for recording, good chance the update muted the mic

Richard Rohrer

Hi Jerry,

When I download from EQSL I always seem to get a couple that are not in the log.  A lot of times I find that they are and have already been verified, but the other operator must have re-sent them with some thing changed, like time or something.  Don't know why they do this.   I think lotw matches better, but that is just my opinion.  Do you still need EL59 in LA?  Will be going thru there in April again.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Stephen Melachrinos

> A lot of times I find that they are and have already been verified, but the other operator must have re-sent them with some thing changed, like time or something.  Don't know why they do this.

Dick -

My guess is that's an artifact of their logging program. They may have it set to "upload automatically all new QSOs." They might then update the QSO if they either find a spelling error ("Rick" instead of "Dick", or in the QTH, or something), and then the logger views this as a new QSO.

I doubt if the operator is doing it intentionally.

Steve
W3HF

-

Jerry N9AVY

Eqsl at one time claimed that "bogus QSOs" were done intentionally and that is why they requested everyone check Eqsls against their logs. It's sad that there a few individuals who feel the need to "cheat", but it happens. Many years ago I knew an SWL who was caught cheating red-handed and the results weren't nice.

Jerry

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 06:58:28 PM CST, Stephen Melachrinos via Groups.Io <melachri@...> wrote:

> A lot of times I find that they are and have already been verified, but the other operator must have re-sent them with some thing changed, like time or something.  Don't know why they do this.

Dick -

My guess is that's an artifact of their logging program. They may have it set to "upload automatically all new QSOs." They might then update the QSO if they either find a spelling error ("Rick" instead of "Dick", or in the QTH, or something), and then the logger views this as a new QSO.

I doubt if the operator is doing it intentionally.

Steve
W3HF

-

Richard Rohrer

Hi Steve,

No I don't think anyone is doing it intentionally, I just find it interesting to get duplicate eqsls with some slightly different information.  The logging program I use, codes each entry when uploaded, so if I want to upload again I have to go in and delete the code.  Just kind of a thought on Jerry's comment.  I do get some that I can't find in my log and when I look back through the text files I either don't find them at all or the qso was never completed, as they faded out before signal exchange was completed.  Just my thoughts.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

I sometimes get new eQSL notices with the "Reject" or "Create" options prominently displayed.  Since I tend to be compulsive about uploading ALL my Qs to eQSL, it is surprising to get an unconfirmed. So I always look back in my log to check them out.  Often I find that the date, time, band info on the new one matches a log entry but the call doesn't match.  That leads me to dig deeper, and while some of them are just plain "not in my log," in others it is a case of the sender changing to a new call sign.  In that case, it too gets the "not in my log."  Don't know why anyone would 'update' their eQSLs changing their old call sign to the new one instead of just merging accounts, but some do!  Oh well, looking back through my log is always fun.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

HI Rick,

When you get the changed call sign downloads do you accept or reject?  I usually reject them since that was not the station call I worked.  Don't need duplicates in my log and don't feel like updating the call sign.  Just my 2 cents.  Looks like we will be in DE in a couple of weeks if anyone needs the state.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Brian (N2MLP)

I Agree