Topics

Bogus Eqsls ???

Jerry N9AVY

This morning I received about 7 Eqsls from a YO3 station. Checked against my actual logs and found only 2 were legitimate while the rest (all from 2013) were fake. Got to be careful with Eqsl as there seem to be some who put in bogus data.

Jerry n9avy

K7DWI Art

When I got back on the air in Oregon this last August, I made a few FT8 QSOs to see id everything was working okay.
I am quickly learning that with a mountain to my east and northeast that it is easier to work Asian, Oceania and Australia than the Midwest U.S.
After a couple of weeks, I received 2 European SWL QSL requests on eQSL. Both requests showed who I had QSO'd with and the report I had sent.
After a few more weeks,  I have come to terms that I am not working Europe, let alone getting WAS anytime in the foreseeable future. I am only hearing California on PSK31 (but have worked Texas and Arizona).
I finally realized those 2 European QSL requests came off of one of the real time reporting sites.  Policy is no more SWL QSLs will be accepted and those QSLs were deleted. All my logging ADIF files are loaded to both eQSL and LOTW and are automatically checked off in a matching. 

Now I have a new problem. A recent Windows 10 update has killed my input device on a laptop. External microphone/line input does not function. Thank you Microsoft!!
I hope to get my tower up eventually with a new HF beam. Praying it helps or will have to go longpath or backscatter as the Sun gets active again. Also have a 800 year old mast for a 160 Meter sloper (Sequoia).

73 Art K7DWI #2518

John Fickler

You might have to re-install the drivers associated with the microphone/line input.

John
W8VYM

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:24 PM K7DWI Art <k7dwicn82@...> wrote:
When I got back on the air in Oregon this last August, I made a few FT8 QSOs to see id everything was working okay.
I am quickly learning that with a mountain to my east and northeast that it is easier to work Asian, Oceania and Australia than the Midwest U.S.
After a couple of weeks, I received 2 European SWL QSL requests on eQSL. Both requests showed who I had QSO'd with and the report I had sent.
After a few more weeks,  I have come to terms that I am not working Europe, let alone getting WAS anytime in the foreseeable future. I am only hearing California on PSK31 (but have worked Texas and Arizona).
I finally realized those 2 European QSL requests came off of one of the real time reporting sites.  Policy is no more SWL QSLs will be accepted and those QSLs were deleted. All my logging ADIF files are loaded to both eQSL and LOTW and are automatically checked off in a matching. 

Now I have a new problem. A recent Windows 10 update has killed my input device on a laptop. External microphone/line input does not function. Thank you Microsoft!!
I hope to get my tower up eventually with a new HF beam. Praying it helps or will have to go longpath or backscatter as the Sun gets active again. Also have a 800 year old mast for a 160 Meter sloper (Sequoia).

73 Art K7DWI #2518

Art,
It has done it to me several times.  Go into the Sounds and check the levels for recording, good chance the update muted the mic

Richard Rohrer

Hi Jerry,

When I download from EQSL I always seem to get a couple that are not in the log.  A lot of times I find that they are and have already been verified, but the other operator must have re-sent them with some thing changed, like time or something.  Don't know why they do this.   I think lotw matches better, but that is just my opinion.  Do you still need EL59 in LA?  Will be going thru there in April again.  

Dick - KC3EF

Stephen Melachrinos

> A lot of times I find that they are and have already been verified, but the other operator must have re-sent them with some thing changed, like time or something.  Don't know why they do this.

Dick -

My guess is that's an artifact of their logging program. They may have it set to "upload automatically all new QSOs." They might then update the QSO if they either find a spelling error ("Rick" instead of "Dick", or in the QTH, or something), and then the logger views this as a new QSO.

I doubt if the operator is doing it intentionally.

Steve
W3HF

-

Jerry N9AVY

Eqsl at one time claimed that "bogus QSOs" were done intentionally and that is why they requested everyone check Eqsls against their logs. It's sad that there a few individuals who feel the need to "cheat", but it happens. Many years ago I knew an SWL who was caught cheating red-handed and the results weren't nice.

Jerry

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 06:58:28 PM CST, Stephen Melachrinos via Groups.Io <melachri@...> wrote:

> A lot of times I find that they are and have already been verified, but the other operator must have re-sent them with some thing changed, like time or something.  Don't know why they do this.

Dick -

My guess is that's an artifact of their logging program. They may have it set to "upload automatically all new QSOs." They might then update the QSO if they either find a spelling error ("Rick" instead of "Dick", or in the QTH, or something), and then the logger views this as a new QSO.

I doubt if the operator is doing it intentionally.

Steve
W3HF

-

Richard Rohrer

Hi Steve,

No I don't think anyone is doing it intentionally, I just find it interesting to get duplicate eqsls with some slightly different information.  The logging program I use, codes each entry when uploaded, so if I want to upload again I have to go in and delete the code.  Just kind of a thought on Jerry's comment.  I do get some that I can't find in my log and when I look back through the text files I either don't find them at all or the qso was never completed, as they faded out before signal exchange was completed.  Just my thoughts. 

Dick - KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

I sometimes get new eQSL notices with the "Reject" or "Create" options prominently displayed.  Since I tend to be compulsive about uploading ALL my Qs to eQSL, it is surprising to get an unconfirmed. So I always look back in my log to check them out.  Often I find that the date, time, band info on the new one matches a log entry but the call doesn't match.  That leads me to dig deeper, and while some of them are just plain "not in my log," in others it is a case of the sender changing to a new call sign.  In that case, it too gets the "not in my log."  Don't know why anyone would 'update' their eQSLs changing their old call sign to the new one instead of just merging accounts, but some do!  Oh well, looking back through my log is always fun.
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Richard Rohrer

HI Rick,

When you get the changed call sign downloads do you accept or reject?  I usually reject them since that was not the station call I worked.  Don't need duplicates in my log and don't feel like updating the call sign.  Just my 2 cents.  Looks like we will be in DE in a couple of weeks if anyone needs the state.

Dick - KC3EF

Brian (N2MLP)

I Agree 

I didn’t work that station

========================

de N2MLP Brian

Monroe County PA

========================

From: 070Club@groups.io [mailto:070Club@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Rohrer
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:43 PM
To: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070Club] Bogus Eqsls ???

HI Rick,

When you get the changed call sign downloads do you accept or reject?  I usually reject them since that was not the station call I worked.  Don't need duplicates in my log and don't feel like updating the call sign.  Just my 2 cents.  Looks like we will be in DE in a couple of weeks if anyone needs the state.

Dick - KC3EF

Rick - N7WE

Yup, I reject them.  Travel safe, and while I don't need any grids in DE, I'll be watching close when you head west again!
--
Rick - N7WE
070 - #1602

Jerry N9AVY

Just have 2 Eqsls from an EA station with a single letter suffix which was rejected because it was not in log nor was in even on same date indicated. These are becoming more prevalent lately. Am sure they think I'm working them when in fact I'm working another station, but they apparently don't listen to IDs sent before and at end of QSO. Poor operating procedures is the only reason I can think of.

There may have been some QSOs prior to 2006 when other logging programs were use , but somewhere prior to 2006 I switched to MixW and I believe every QSO was entered after that.

Jerry n9avy

On Thursday, February 20, 2020, 03:43:32 PM CST, Richard Rohrer <kc3ef@...> wrote:

HI Rick,

Dick - KC3EF

KB3RAN 1692/381

Please let me know your DE schedule.  It's the only state I need for WAS.  And it's the closest to me.  I'd like to get that checked off.  As well as DXCC' I have about 12 more countries needed there.
--
Dave H
KB3RAN
1692/381

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 01:43 PM, Richard Rohrer wrote:
HI Rick,

Dick - KC3EF
I definitely reject them. I only log the callsign I worked exactly as it was used on air.
Just spent 2hrs on this chore this morning.
Still the benefits outweigh the labours.
cheers
Barry

Richard Rohrer

Hi Dave, 

Looks like right now some time in mid-March.  Waiting to hear from my customer, since it is a business trip.  We will also be in DE at the end of May and around Thanksgiving.  If some other random time pops up I will let you know.  I usually run 20 mtrs, but I can do 40 now with a new antenna system.  My old 40mtr system caused electric recliner interference and also would pop the circuit breaker for the microwave, as it was one of the earlier arcflash breakers that seemed to be prone to rfi problems.  I will let you know when this trip firms up.  

Dick - KC3EF

KB3RAN 1692/381

Thanks a lot, Dick.  I'll be watching for further info.  I'm going to get DE this year.  I'll be heading to Newfoundland this summer and can provide some needed grid squares from there.

--
Dave H
KB3RAN
1692/381

Richard Rohrer

Hi Dave,

Plans have firmed up a bit more.  Looks like DE opportunity will be March 14th and 15th.  Probably in the afternoon.  Will let you know times the day before.  

Dick - KC3EF