Topics

[070ClubContests] The 070 Club

David Westbrook

This might be my first post via groups.io (vs yahoo) -- gives an indication of my activity level ... that and lack of PSK Q's in the log in 2 years....  sigh.

But I wanted to jump in here to be first to give a huge public "thank you" to Matt for the past few years. Others too, but Matt started helped when I took over after other long-term leadership rotated out, and really aided the transition and improvement of the club, and then stepped up not too long after that as I was only able to put in less & less time (kids!), and everyone reading this knows the rest, which resulted from Matt (and others) putting in a LOT of hours.

Other comments, background, and thanks (several others deserve credit as well) when I can write up a longer email...

Also assuming the two groups.io  lists will continue on as well -- The backend organization/overhead becoming unmanageable doesn't mean the people themselves have to disband or give up PSK or anything!   Still a good group here.

Maybe I'll find a block of time to give out my 070# for LONP for the 300 or so that have joined since my last PSK qso... good incentive to fire up PSK software again...

73!
--david
KJ4IZW
070#1041

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 3:46 PM Matthew King - AK4MK <kk4cps@...> wrote:
Hey, y'all - it is with a heavy heart that I write this email.

I've previously sent a couple different emails explaining the dire situation that we're facing with our critical technology suite. This includes our contest scorer, endorsement checker, application system, IOTA system, certificate system, and the complex "back office" management system.

We had a few very well-meaning responses to my request for developers, but we weren't able to form a viable development team capable of writing a comprehensive replacement system.

Well, the situation has gotten exponentially worse.  Here's the crux of the matter - all of the existing systems will cease to function on 03/03/20 due to an API change in the Google technology that's the foundation of the entire system.

Given these circumstances, it is my intent, unless somebody else wants to get behind the Executive Director's desk and take over the myriad responsibilities, is to gracefully fold the club as of 12/31/19.

I'll take the extra time after this date before the system breaks to square away a final mailing of stickers and certificates. As nobody has stepped up to do the mailing work since John moved and stepped down, I'll do this myself.

It's my feeling that a piecemeal approach, even if we could pull that off in time, isn't sufficient to run the club in a manner that even remotely resembles what our members have become accustomed to, and would be a disservice to the membership.

Anybody who's made a donation in the past 30 days will get a refund.  The money that remains in the coffers after that will be donated to the Red Cross.

Thanks for the good times and memories.

73

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708