Topics

[070ClubContests] [070Club] The 070 Club

David Westbrook

Hey Milt,  what is a "pen-cil" ????  What site can I download one from?

But seriously,  you pose good & reasonable question.  Going "low-tech" is an option,  but it's a trade-off of costs ... Automated, it scales well and is highly efficient and robust once framework in place ; but needs high-tech maintenance (and the risk is obvious, hence this thread).  With "old school", it can take a lot of effort, both on the participants and the people processing it, and it's error prone, and produces less output information (just the calculated score, not reports on pretty much anything ... endorsement checker has 2.3 million Q's!!).
The programmer in me just absolutely cringes at someone hand-constructing a log and emailing it (or worse, snail-mail) and then it being manually calculated.

Either way, hi/low tech, I would recommend streamlining to reduce the really high overhead items, like WTW and IOTA.

Loren's suggestion to use the EPC software is a good one, if there's a volunteer to spearhead that.   I have looked it in a couple/few years, and I know it changed names at some point ... But I remember being impressed with it, and seeing that the had structured it support a bunch of different groups (EPC, DMC, etc .. Brazilian club IIRC, and others).   
30MDG group had it's own software, too -- don't know the current state.

For IOTA, attempting an initiative for collaboration with RGSB would make more sense ... that is really painstaking work that the 070 volunteers (Loren, Matt, etc) have done to validate all of those.

Jim -- a new Joomla website would be great, but what's critical for the data-driven functionality (membership, endorsements, contests, etc) is a database, and that's what's finally hitting end-of-life here ... Currently everything is backed by a google spreadsheet (for a few legacy reasons), which is not really a database.  Need a solid datastore for a backbone, to feed everything else.

Honestly, I can't believe that pseudo-database and the spaghetti-code feature-creeped winged-requirements cobbled-scripts  bundle didn't hit critical mass long for before this, since it's basically been on untouched auto-pilot for 3 years now!

Stickers & such were a perk, but not the entire club... the group is still here!

Also want to credit Jay N3DQU & Charlie K8IJ, who ran everything for quite a while before I took the reins briefly before passing the torch to Matt.

--david
73!
KJ4IZW
070#1041

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 5:05 PM Milton Garb via Groups.Io <n6mg=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Matt, David and all of the guys that run our great, unique 070 Club.
I totally agree, this makes a heavy heart.
But, may I ask?..."Back in the day", we did everything by hand. I was the Contest Manager, and scored every contest & entry by hand. Guys/Gals would email their .adi logs to me, and I'd score them with a high tech #2 pencil, a custom form and a calculator. And we had more "Operating Events" back then than today! We had K8IJ, Charlie, that handled LONP. Karen, W4KRN, managed the APE program. We had someone that did the IOTA program. Various awards were handled by many. Somebody else did the membership verifications. I apologize to those members for not remembering their calls. But it was a real team effort!

Is it al all possible that we could take a step backwards with the automation and keep our club going?

Steve, pls jump in and help with your always sound opinions and knowledge.

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
Trustee for W6QP,
070-1454

-----Original Message-----
To: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io>; 070ClubContests <070ClubContests@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Oct 18, 2019 12:46 pm
Subject: [070Club] The 070 Club

Hey, y'all - it is with a heavy heart that I write this email.

I've previously sent a couple different emails explaining the dire situation that we're facing with our critical technology suite. This includes our contest scorer, endorsement checker, application system, IOTA system, certificate system, and the complex "back office" management system.

We had a few very well-meaning responses to my request for developers, but we weren't able to form a viable development team capable of writing a comprehensive replacement system.

Well, the situation has gotten exponentially worse.  Here's the crux of the matter - all of the existing systems will cease to function on 03/03/20 due to an API change in the Google technology that's the foundation of the entire system.

Given these circumstances, it is my intent, unless somebody else wants to get behind the Executive Director's desk and take over the myriad responsibilities, is to gracefully fold the club as of 12/31/19.

I'll take the extra time after this date before the system breaks to square away a final mailing of stickers and certificates. As nobody has stepped up to do the mailing work since John moved and stepped down, I'll do this myself.

It's my feeling that a piecemeal approach, even if we could pull that off in time, isn't sufficient to run the club in a manner that even remotely resembles what our members have become accustomed to, and would be a disservice to the membership.

Anybody who's made a donation in the past 30 days will get a refund.  The money that remains in the coffers after that will be donated to the Red Cross.

Thanks for the good times and memories.

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708
PODXS 070 Club Executive Director

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Jim K5SP

David, have developed many Access databases, and a couple MySQL. Will start looking into that Avenue 

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S10e, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/18/19 8:29 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: 070ClubContests@groups.io
Cc: 070Club@groups.io
Subject: Re: [070ClubContests] [070Club] The 070 Club

But seriously,  you pose good & reasonable question.  Going "low-tech" is an option,  but it's a trade-off of costs ... Automated, it scales well and is highly efficient and robust once framework in place ; but needs high-tech maintenance (and the risk is obvious, hence this thread).  With "old school", it can take a lot of effort, both on the participants and the people processing it, and it's error prone, and produces less output information (just the calculated score, not reports on pretty much anything ... endorsement checker has 2.3 million Q's!!).
The programmer in me just absolutely cringes at someone hand-constructing a log and emailing it (or worse, snail-mail) and then it being manually calculated.

Either way, hi/low tech, I would recommend streamlining to reduce the really high overhead items, like WTW and IOTA.

Loren's suggestion to use the EPC software is a good one, if there's a volunteer to spearhead that   I have looked it in a couple/few years, and I know it changed names at some point ... But I remember being impressed with it, and seeing that the had structured it support a bunch of different groups (EPC, DMC, etc .. Brazilian club IIRC, and others).   

For IOTA, attempting an initiative for collaboration with RGSB would make more sense ... that is really painstaking work that the 070 volunteers (Loren, Matt, etc) have done to validate all of those.

Jim -- a new Joomla website would be great, but what's critical for the data-driven functionality (membership, endorsements, contests, etc) is a database, and that's what's finally hitting end-of-life here ... Currently everything is backed by a google spreadsheet (for a few legacy reasons), which is not really a database.  Need a solid datastore for a backbone, to feed everything else.

Honestly, I can't believe that pseudo-database and the spaghetti-code feature-creeped winged-requirements cobbled-scripts  bundle didn't hit critical mass long for before this, since it's basically been on untouched auto-pilot for 3 years now!

Stickers & such were a perk, but not the entire club... the group is still here!

Also want to credit Jay N3DQU & Charlie K8IJ, who ran everything for quite a while before I took the reins briefly before passing the torch to Matt.

--david
73!
KJ4IZW
070#1041

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 5:05 PM Milton Garb via Groups.Io <n6mg=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

But, may I ask?..."Back in the day", we did everything by hand. I was the Contest Manager, and scored every contest & entry by hand. Guys/Gals would email their .adi logs to me, and I'd score them with a high tech #2 pencil, a custom form and a calculator. And we had more "Operating Events" back then than today! We had K8IJ, Charlie, that handled LONP. Karen, W4KRN, managed the APE program. We had someone that did the IOTA program. Various awards were handled by many. Somebody else did the membership verifications. I apologize to those members for not remembering their calls. But it was a real team effort!

Is it al all possible that we could take a step backwards with the automation and keep our club going?

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
Trustee for W6QP,
070-1454

To: 070Club@groups.io <070Club@groups.io>; 070ClubContests <070ClubContests@groups.io>

I've previously sent a couple different emails explaining the dire situation that we're facing with our critical technology suite. This includes our contest scorer, endorsement checker, application system, IOTA system, certificate system, and the complex "back office" management system.

We had a few very well-meaning responses to my request for developers, but we weren't able to form a viable development team capable of writing a comprehensive replacement system.

Well, the situation has gotten exponentially worse.  Here's the crux of the matter - all of the existing systems will cease to function on 03/03/20 due to an API change in the Google technology that's the foundation of the entire system.

Given these circumstances, it is my intent, unless somebody else wants to get behind the Executive Director's desk and take over the myriad responsibilities, is to gracefully fold the club as of 12/31/19.

I'll take the extra time after this date before the system breaks to square away a final mailing of stickers and certificates. As nobody has stepped up to do the mailing work since John moved and stepped down, I'll do this myself.

It's my feeling that a piecemeal approach, even if we could pull that off in time, isn't sufficient to run the club in a manner that even remotely resembles what our members have become accustomed to, and would be a disservice to the membership.

Anybody who's made a donation in the past 30 days will get a refund.  The money that remains in the coffers after that will be donated to the Red Cross.

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

David, K9DWR

David,

The biggest aspect of this that would help a lot is if we could get access to all the data that’s stored on the backend. At least that way, we have the historical stuff to work from, regardless what form it takes.

A very doable middle ground is a hybrid of online and manual. One of the technical hang-ups for the moment is the website end of things. If we drop the real-time website part of this and develop an offline checker for everything (that’s what I started a couple months back), we could use a more static website to house the results while we try to get things restarted. I’m willing to take that on if I have the data to work with.

David, K9DWR
#1604 LONP #255
david@...

On Oct 18, 2019, at 20:29, David Westbrook <dwestbrook@...> wrote:

Hey Milt, what is a "pen-cil" ???? What site can I download one from?

But seriously, you pose good & reasonable question. Going "low-tech" is an option, but it's a trade-off of costs ... Automated, it scales well and is highly efficient and robust once framework in place ; but needs high-tech maintenance (and the risk is obvious, hence this thread). With "old school", it can take a lot of effort, both on the participants and the people processing it, and it's error prone, and produces less output information (just the calculated score, not reports on pretty much anything ... endorsement checker has 2.3 million Q's!!).
The programmer in me just absolutely cringes at someone hand-constructing a log and emailing it (or worse, snail-mail) and then it being manually calculated.

Loren's suggestion to use the EPC software is a good one, if there's a volunteer to spearhead that. I have looked it in a couple/few years, and I know it changed names at some point ... But I remember being impressed with it, and seeing that the had structured it support a bunch of different groups (EPC, DMC, etc .. Brazilian club IIRC, and others).

Jim -- a new Joomla website would be great, but what's critical for the data-driven functionality (membership, endorsements, contests, etc) is a database, and that's what's finally hitting end-of-life here ... Currently everything is backed by a google spreadsheet (for a few legacy reasons), which is not really a database. Need a solid datastore for a backbone, to feed everything else.

Honestly, I can't believe that pseudo-database and the spaghetti-code feature-creeped winged-requirements cobbled-scripts bundle didn't hit critical mass long for before this, since it's basically been on untouched auto-pilot for 3 years now!

--david
73!
KJ4IZW
070#1041

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
Trustee for W6QP,
070-1454

I've previously sent a couple different emails explaining the dire situation that we're facing with our critical technology suite. This includes our contest scorer, endorsement checker, application system, IOTA system, certificate system, and the complex "back office" management system.

Well, the situation has gotten exponentially worse. Here's the crux of the matter - all of the existing systems will cease to function on 03/03/20 due to an API change in the Google technology that's the foundation of the entire system.

Anybody who's made a donation in the past 30 days will get a refund. The money that remains in the coffers after that will be donated to the Red Cross.

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708

Milton Garb

David...a pen-cil was reinvented back in the space race days...
Really, this is documented: NASA paid $2.5 million to the Fischer Pen Co. to invent a pen that could write in 0 gravity, write upside down, underwater, in extreme heat or cold, etc. That's what NASA did.
That other country in the space race?...the USSR?...They used a #2 pen-cil.
Milt
N6MG

To: 070ClubContests <070ClubContests@groups.io>
Cc: 070Club <070Club@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Oct 18, 2019 7:53 pm

David, have developed many Access databases, and a couple MySQL. Will start looking into that Avenue 

Loren's suggestion to use the EPC software is a good one, if there's a volunteer to spearhead that   I have looked it in a couple/few years, and I know it changed names at some point ... But I remember being impressed with it, and seeing that the had structured it support a bunch of different groups (EPC, DMC, etc .. Brazilian club IIRC, and others).   

--david
73!
KJ4IZW
070#1041

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
Trustee for W6QP,
070-1454

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK - PODXS 070 # 2645

This is a good story, but not true:

De K5KHK 

Karl Heinz Kremer
PDF Acrobatics Without a Net 
PDF Software Development, Training and More... 
http://www.khkonsulting.com 

On Oct 19, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Milton Garb via Groups.Io <n6mg@...> wrote:

David...a pen-cil was reinvented back in the space race days...
Really, this is documented: NASA paid $2.5 million to the Fischer Pen Co. to invent a pen that could write in 0 gravity, write upside down, underwater, in extreme heat or cold, etc. That's what NASA did.
That other country in the space race?...the USSR?...They used a #2 pen-cil.
Milt
N6MG

To: 070ClubContests <070ClubContests@groups.io>
Cc: 070Club <070Club@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Oct 18, 2019 7:53 pm

--david
73!
KJ4IZW
070#1041

Milt.
N6MG
070-650
LONP #76
Trustee for W6QP,
070-1454

Matt King
AK4MK - 070 #1708

--
Jim,  K5SP #483
Member Services Director