15000 contacts in part time operating in those 4 months.   What fun.

Scotty W7PSK

aka VQ9RS

On 8/20/2019 7:12 AM, Jim K5SP wrote:
I was on Diego Garcia 76-77, and used 15m late at night, was like being in same room, worked hundreds of stateside stations (was early morning here).   Somewhere I have a box full of QSL cards for contacts.  Was WB6EWH/VQ9.

Jim K5SP

-------- Original message --------
From: Jerry N9AVY <n9avy@...>
Date: 8/20/19 8:59 AM (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Re: [070Club] Propagation

Saw a photo recently of the Sun which was just a big yellow ball and devoid of any spots. That can’t be good.

For those who were around in the 70’s/80’s/90’s when there was decent propagation, it was a great time to be a ham with opening on 10/15/20m to almost all parts of the world.  If I remember even the 50’s and 60’s had great propagation.  Recall reading some stuff about WWII and the propagation was excellent back then as well with shortwave listeners hearing stuff from battlefields as it happened.  In the late 1930’s, there were some stories about people in  the U.S. hearing Amelia Earhart’s plane while it was flying around looking for Howland Island.

Based of these reports it would appear that radio propagation was really good in those eras. So, if anyone want to see propagation like that again, they’ll just need to build a time machine and go back, but remember if you take a modern day radio back with you, you may be accused of being a space alien up to no good !  😊

There is also a school of thought which believes that all the solar power we use on thi planet is draining the sun … put you tin foil hat on !

Jerry  n9avy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10